From External Socket to Shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_I_L_L_Y

Reaction score
I have recently had my garden fully wired (radial system ... whatever that means) in each corner by a profession electrician. I have been informed that I can run electric heaters, kettle, etc. with no issue and it runs from the consumer unit in my garage which I think is connected to a 65 amp RCD fuse and he said if I wanted to run power to my new shed then I can merely spur off of one of the double sockets to a separate fused switch.
Ok so what I want to do is be able to move my shed in and out to maintain it every year so was thinking of using a one of those IP67 adapters like you see when connecting caravans to cars, so having a fixed socket on the fence and have a trailing flex from the shed.  The this trailing flex I was going to attach to a new smaller consumer unit in the shed (x1 for lighting and x1 for plugs) ... does this sound ok?

Cheers for any advice?

I think is connected to a 65 amp RCD fuse 

There is some confusion in your post making it hard to give any accurate answers, for example the item you tried to describe above does not exist? It could be like me saying "I bought a Ford, Toyota convertible estate car with an 18gallon petrol turbo diesel engine. Can I pull my caravan as my friend says it will only work with snow chains?"  I would suggest as Murdoch said, you need a competent electrician back on site to see exactly what's what to be able to make any accurate assessment.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently had my garden fully wired (radial system ... whatever that means) in each corner by a profession electrician. I have been informed that I can run electric heaters, kettle, etc. with no issue and it runs from the consumer unit in my garage which I think is connected to a 65 amp RCD fuse and he said if I wanted to run power to my new shed then I can merely spur off of one of the double sockets to a separate fused switch.
Ok so what I want to do is be able to move my shed in and out to maintain it every year so was thinking of using a one of those IP67 adapters like you see when connecting caravans to cars, so having a fixed socket on the fence and have a trailing flex from the shed.  The this trailing flex I was going to attach to a new smaller consumer unit in the shed (x1 for lighting and x1 for plugs) ... does this sound ok?

Cheers for any advice?
Can we have a picture of the mobile shed?

If it really is mobile, then a 16A commando socket like for connecting caravans to a mains supply on site is what you want.  If the shed is fixed, get it connected with fixed wiring properly.

Last edited by a moderator: