Garden Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair Bradshaw

Reaction score
First time post, but too much head scratching and googling, so here we go.

I have a string of lights at the bottom of the garden which has been there a long time. The lights turn on from a switch inside the house.

Without digging the garden up, is there a way of utilising the existing cable, even though its switched.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Welcome to the forum Alistair,

What are you wanting to do with the cable?

You haven't said.
That would help wouldn't it.

I would like to run another light which has a PIR. So when the light is switch from the house it only activates to originals, but when the switch is off, the PIR lights independently if you get my drift.

Thanks

Can you access the point where the garden supply cable joins the string of lights?

How far from house to the lights?

Was thinking you could leave the garden supply switch permanently on at the house end. Then at the bottom of the garden split this now "permanent" supply. Feed the PIR as normal but also a Quinetic wireless receiver then from that the string. That would need to be in an IP rated enclosure. You could take the existing supply to a suitable, accessible enclosure  and have the receiver in that and feed the string too.

You would need a wireless switch in the house too of course.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Quinetic/index.html