Light fitting weight help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Souffle

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a new light fitting weighing 3.2 kilogram which we fitted over the weekend.  We discovered that there wasn't a joist on which to attach the fitting, only the lathe.  We have used five screws and it seems to be secure but we have been told by a friend that perhaps  we should have placed a piece of wood above the ceiling and used that to secure the light fitting instead of relying on the lathe.  I hope it's not a silly question but should a light fitting weighing 3.2 kilogram be better secured than simply attaching to the lathe?

Many thanks in anticipation.  🙂

All light fittings no matter what weight should have a secure fixing, as in addition to the basic gravitational load due to the weight, under normal use other strains and forces may be applied during lamp and/or shade replacement. Knowing the condition of some lathe and plaster ceilings I would be very dubious about relying purely on the lathes as the main support. Out of interest do the installation instructions with the new light offer any suggests as to a suitable fixing method?. I would have provided additional timber to support the light if I had done it, however there is no direct guidance or regulation to say you cannot do what you have done, common sense in my opinion suggest otherwise, but at the end of the day it is your risk if it falls down.

Doc H.

problem with lathe is it often split when you put a screw into it, so it may not be as secure as you think.

just remember to wear a hard hat under it

It is better to fit a decent bit of wood bove the lathes, 2 x1 will do. Sometimes you can get these into the ceiling void through a smallish hole where the cables come through the ceiling, sometimes you will need to lift floorboards above the light fitting (if you have an older house the boards are probably already cut). But if you have managed to get a firm fixing, then it is probably OK.

3.2 Kg  ..about  six  2lb bags of sugar   (  Kgs mean nothing to me )  (( as don't kilometers) )  

I think I'd have gone for a noggin , but if you think its firmly fixed ...its your decision .  

About the same  as fixing  a small terrier dog  to the ceiling .....yeah should be fine .   :Godno:

Last edited by a moderator:
About the same  as fixing  a small terrier dog  to the ceiling .....yeah should be fine .   :Godno:

I am sure you could do a scientific experiment around this, how long can you support a dog in a harness fixed to lathe and plaster before the dog can finally break free?

Doc H. 

Thanks so much everyone for your help.  Perhaps we should insert a noggin - I had to look up what that was - I have learned something new already by joining this forum!

Thank you all!  🙂

All light fittings no matter what weight should have a secure fixing, as in addition to the basic gravitational load due to the weight, under normal use other strains and forces may be applied during lamp and/or shade replacement. Knowing the condition of some lathe and plaster ceilings I would be very dubious about relying purely on the lathes as the main support. Out of interest do the installation instructions with the new light offer any suggests as to a suitable fixing method?. I would have provided additional timber to support the light if I had done it, however there is no direct guidance or regulation to say you cannot do what you have done, common sense in my opinion suggest otherwise, but at the end of the day it is your risk if it falls down.

Doc H.
 Thank you!  No, Nothing in the installation instructions to suggest how we should fit the light to the ceiling unfortunately.  

I don't normal take much note of the actual weight of any lights I put up....

You can just tell when you get them out of the box and feel how much effort is needed to hold them up while fixing them...

Bog standard plastic pendant or batten holder may be acceptable into lathe..

but anything more significant I would be wanting at least one good strong fixing into a batten of some sort.

On a slight tangent I have been asked to look at  a faulty shower pump for a customer, I found the identical make model online...

I was just reading and the specification says it weighs 2.6Kg...

Don't think I would want anything that heavy or heavier hanging from just plasterboard or lathe.

If someone did fix a light like that professionally and it did come lose, I'd guess you could have reasonable grounds for compensation due to negligence?

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one issue here I see, you would need a dead dog in order to compare the dead weight of dog v light, unless of course this light is installed in a bedroom, said dog would need to live in order to replicate the bedroom activity of swinging from the light 

sorry too much info☺️