Talking about card payments .............

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
..........I was  impressed a while ago with our bank card system .     We were replacing our electric hob & built-in oven .

Went out on the morning  and purchased  the hob , using the card . 

Missus wanted to actually see the oven in the flesh as it were , at Comet  so we drive there.

Its fine but its £100 dearer in the shop than online  also at Comet .    Sales guy says  thats how it is .  

So we go home ,check its the same one , place the order on Comet website,   around £400 I think ,    Missus says the card is blocked :C    Then the phone rings , I jokingly say thats the bank checking up on you .      

Voice says its Natwest security ,  asks  the  security questions   then says are you trying to purchase online ?   Yes .    We blocked your card because of unusual activity ,  £250 was spent this morning , now £400   when normal activity is Petrol & the supermarket . 

I was most impressed to be honest . 

I'm with RBS and they've done the same in the past. They stopped a payment going out from Superdrug in Swindon, I was 5000 miles away in the Falklands at the time.

On the other hand, my first visit to the USA, first weekend into  4 week trip, I bought some stuff.  By the time I tried to buy some more in the afternoon my card was blocked.  Damned good job I had 2 cards with me.  It took a long time on the phone on Monday morning to get it sorted out (waited until Monday so I could phone from work at their expense)  Yes it was blocked due to unusual activity. Am I supposed to file my travel Itinerary with the bank before departing? 

Am I supposed to file my travel Itinerary with the bank before departing? 
Yes in some cases. I have two cards, one of which advises me to tell them of planned travel abroad.  The other doesn't. 

I've benefitted from the "unusual activity" monitoring protection once, so I'm quite happy to co-operate with them in this way.

Am I supposed to file my travel Itinerary with the bank before departing? 

Probably because they have seen your Twatt Photo...

and decided you look like a very suspicious ******!!!

Best solution is to just PM Deke the morning before you leave....

and he will hack into the systems to ensure all transactions are processed with 7% discount...

and five times the value of the purchase added as bonus points for up-to three different store loyalty cards..

Well...….

that's what I heard he does for Sidewinder every time he goes abroad, leaves Wales!! 

:innocent

:coat

..........I was  impressed a while ago with our bank card system .     We were replacing our electric hob & built-in oven .

Went out on the morning  and purchased  the hob , using the card . 

Missus wanted to actually see the oven in the flesh as it were , at Comet  so we drive there.

Its fine but its £100 dearer in the shop than online  also at Comet .    Sales guy says  thats how it is .  

So we go home ,check its the same one , place the order on Comet website,   around £400 I think ,    Missus says the card is blocked :C    Then the phone rings , I jokingly say thats the bank checking up on you .      

Voice says its Natwest security ,  asks  the  security questions   then says are you trying to purchase online ?   Yes .    We blocked your card because of unusual activity ,  £250 was spent this morning , now £400   when normal activity is Petrol & the supermarket . 

I was most impressed to be honest . 
Had something similar a few years ago, but was less than impressed, I had a credit card just for emergencies, however one day the wife and I were in Blackpool and I spotted a video camera in a shop, I'd wanted one for ages and it was a good price. After a bit of pondering I decided to buy it, went into the shop and after checking it out, I handed over my card to the salesman. He went off to make a phonecall, to do the transaction and came back a few minutes later, "I'm sorry sir, this card has been declined" he said, in a voice loud enough for everyone else to hear, and handed it back to me.

Feeling rather embarrased, not to mention confused, I took it from him and left the store, about 5 minutes later my mobile rang, it was the card company,they wanted to know where I was. I replied, "Blackpool" and was just about to have a go at them for declining the card when the bloke on the other end went, "ah, so it was you then". I asked what he meant and he replied that they were ringing me to ask if my card had been stolen, as someone had just attempted to buy an expensive camera with it, in Blackpool!

I informed him that it was me trying to buy the camera, and I'd found the whole experience rather embarrassing!. I insisted that he rang the store and explained, as I intended on going back to buy it.

I could understand them declining the card if they thought it stolen, but not to tell the store to keep hold of it was rather silly.

On a slightly more amusing note.

One night my wife and I were sat watching TV, the phone rang, it was, apparently the bank. I looked at the clock, just after 8pm, very odd, the chap on the phone explained that he was from the call centre and they were doing some work and he needed to discuss our account. He then asked me for the usual details, name, address, date of birth, mothers maiden name, etc, I refused to answer, how did I know he was really from the bank? I told him that before I'd answer any questions, he'd have to answer a few security questions himself, "what is my current balance, what were the last three card transactions, and what was the last amount spent on the card?"

He was a bit taken aback by this, but in a few minutes he came back with the correct responses and I was happy to continue, at the end of the conversation he told me that this was the first time anyone had ever asked him any security questions! It's something I always do, maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe I just don't wan't somone else getting their hands on my cash.