Fairy lights plugged into dimmer plug, would it work? Burn the house down?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezz

Reaction score
I wanted to combine these fairy lights and this dimmer plug. The LEDS are technically dimmable because the plug control that comes with it has settings that involve the bulbs brightening and darkening in some of the sequences. But I'm unsure if feeding an altered current (via the dimmer plug) into the fairy lights plug could cause problems. What do you reckon?

Thanks!

Just that they dim as part of the various light sequences that the button on the plug provides, you know where they flash on and off, or slowly dim to nothing, then slowly regain full brightness. So my aim here is to have create a mode of all lights being constantly on, but not at the traditional full brightness that such a mode normally comes with. If that makes sense....

The fairy lights plug is NOT just a plug... 

It is a transformer plus the processor controller for the light sequences, that happens to have a 13amp plug moulded onto it.....

i.e. the lamps are 24v not mains voltage...

I think you will find that the whole plug controller gubbins needs a supply of 220v-240v to operate correctly..

If you don't give it the correct supply voltage then...…..  well who knows...

It may have inbuilt protection to just turn itself off...

Or it may just work erratically...

But there again with a £20 set of lights.....

my guess is, if  trying to operate them outside of the manufactures specified voltage range..  it could just fail catastrophically rendering them useless..

You will probably also notice that the Dimmer plug is only intended for standard non-low energy lamps...

"Note: Plug in dimmer is Not for use with low voltage or low energy lamps"

My advice to you is don't even bother trying it...

Try and find a different product that does what you want rather than butchering the wrong product for the wrong job.

:coffee

The fairy lights plug is NOT just a plug... 

It is a transformer plus the processor controller for the light sequences, that happens to have a 13amp plug moulded onto it.....

i.e. the lamps are 24v not mains voltage...

I think you will find that the whole plug controller gubbins needs a supply of 220v-240v to operate correctly..

If you don't give it the correct supply voltage then...…..  well who knows...

It may have inbuilt protection to just turn itself off...

Or it may just work erratically...

But there again with a £20 set of lights.....

my guess is, if  trying to operate them outside of the manufactures specified voltage range..  it could just fail catastrophically rendering them useless..

You will probably also notice that the Dimmer plug is only intended for standard non-low energy lamps...

"Note: Plug in dimmer is Not for use with low voltage or low energy lamps"

My advice to you is don't even bother trying it...

Try and find a different product that does what you want rather than butchering the wrong product for the wrong job.

:coffee
Thank you! Sound and comprehensive advice, I'll avoid this venture!

Just that they dim as part of the various light sequences that the button on the plug provides, you know where they flash on and off, or slowly dim to nothing, then slowly regain full brightness. So my aim here is to have create a mode of all lights being constantly on, but not at the traditional full brightness that such a mode normally comes with. If that makes sense....
The way these lights flash is by alternation the positive and negative alternately across the lamps so as the DC changes or the AC changes waveforms the lamps are connected across the cable in a alternating connection Ill draw a diagram when I get home later