DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Neil Neil orange peel

EICR before new works/ minor works

Neil Neil orange peel

Hi all,

How do other sparks go about performing new works on an existing install such as a new ring or even just a minor works?

Do you insist on an EICR before starting on anything new?

I'm losing work because people aren't interested in an EICR for the sake of a new light fitting going up.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Neil.

Andy™

why have an EICR before changing a light?

Murdoch

Why did you think any eicr is necessary for such a minor change.

Check the Zs, but nothing more when doing the work

Edited by Murdoch

Neil Neil orange peel

Thanks for the replies Andy, Murdoch.

I'm keen to know how other lads work.

I don't want to be the last person to work on a circuit then be liable for it and any pre-existing faults.

At what point do you start to do a full set of tests and document it?

I met a spark that worked for PHS and he did a minor works for every Hand Dryer he swapped out, company policy.

To cover my backside and Duty of Care, I would of thought a minor works every time, even just a light fitting swap.

Cheers,

Neil.

Murdoch

Reality check.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can do like for like swaps, so any unnecessary paperwork will drive you round the bend.

i would say do a Zs Reading and note the figure on your invoice .....

Neil Neil orange peel

Thanks Murdoch. 

What prework tests would you do on an older ring or radial at a domestic before doing the actual job? 

Like adding a couple of sockets etc.... 

Edited by Neil Neil orange peel
Additional comment

Murdoch
3 minutes ago, Neil Neil orange peel said:

Thanks Murdoch. 

What prework tests would you do on an older ring or radial at a domestic before doing the actual job? 

Like adding a couple of sockets etc.... 

Before you can quote you need to review the fuseboard, earthing and bonding ..... then price it , often a simple extra socket can cost £600 

Sharpend

Neil what tests would you do at work before adding/altering a circuit? 

Neil Neil orange peel
16 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Before you can quote you need to review the fuseboard, earthing and bonding ..... then price it , often a simple extra socket can cost £600 

Murdoch,

How do you go on if you find a fault with the wiring after your alteration?

In the past I've put them right at my own cost just to save the customer moaning or refusing to pay up.

Thats why I ask what tests other s do before starting.

16 hours ago, Sharpend said:

Neil what tests would you do at work before adding/altering a circuit? 

Sharpend, 

Ideally I'd do a full set so I can tell the customer of any faults before I start altering anything.

In the real world - they don't care and just want the extra socket so find someone else, i'm guessing.

As I say, I have been caught out with existing faults previously and put them right at my own cost during whatever work I was doing.

Obviously like any normal person, I don't want to get caught out again.

Murdoch
1 hour ago, Neil Neil orange peel said:

How do you go on if you find a fault with the wiring after your alteration?

In the past I've put them right at my own cost just to save the customer moaning or refusing to pay up.

Well ............ I talk to the client about unexpected issues and the cost implications before I send an estimate

With fuseboard changes , I include the following caveat:

"NB: If problems are detected during the fuseboard change additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you, prior to being implemented"

Never been challenged on it and on the rare occasions I find a fault ............. I talk about the cost implications and update the customer by email to confirm when I get home. 

Got one ATM - sent an estimate for a CU change and a few extras - to find a plumber has been sparking .......... been rectifying his work too - so the customer saving is a big fat zero. Then there is an issue that probably dates back to when the house was built in 1980 ..not sure how to fix that!

Its all about communication

Back to EICR's - there are some properties where I do insist on an EICR before I will even do an estimate for a CU change ...