Wiring a new dimmer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohanmcd

Reaction score
Hi,

I feel this is probably quite simple & lots of people on here can help me out!

I bought a fancy new 2-gang dimmer which I can control on my phone.

Can anyone advise me on which wires I should wire into each terminal?

I've included a pic of my current switch (the one with the wires) and the new dimmer (the one without the wires)

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

dfbRuPN.png.75fa899affa1806aa68828993d089490.png

eOhXmkN.png.2a4486afd2b97d0d53d8702384c356e3.png

It's not going to work I'm afraid..... your new switch needs a Neutral which you don't have at the existing switch,,,, also your existing switches are 2 way which on first look your new one doesn't look to be

It's not going to work I'm afraid..... your new switch needs a Neutral which you don't have at the existing switch,,,, also your existing switches are 2 way which on first look your new one doesn't look to be

Not much more to add really. Other than to explain that a light switch itself only needs a permanent Live supply from the fuse-box, then a Switched-Live to the lamp. It is the lamp that requires the Neutral not a basic standard switch. So it is not uncommon to find many UK light switches do not have any Neutral wires at all. Depending upon who designed the original lighting wiring the Neutral may be looped at the switch, but it may not. Its pretty much a 50/50 chance if your switch has a neutral or not. Which is where problems can arise when trying to install some of these modern remote-controlled switches. (The other issue if there had been a neutral, could have been if its dimmer aspect is compatible with some of the modern low-energy LED lamps). Your existing switch is just a lot of Lives & Switched-lives, and it is 2-way because somewhere there is another switch operating the same light(s).   

Doc H.