Wiring cooker in new house

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy87

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new here and would appreciate some advice on wiring my cooker (dual fuel range with a 13A plug) in my new house.

There is a cooker switch/socket like this which is on a dedicated 30A supply. There's no sign of an outlet plate so it looks like the previous owner's cooker was hard wired directly. The socket is already being used by the integrated extractor fan, which also has a 13A plug. 

be2685655f59f33455c04c53e19ac4a2.jpeg.982ca84032ed6af064a0fb16d3e4a088.jpeg

What would be the best way to wire this so I have the fan and cooker connected? Also should I change the fuse at the CU? I will be getting a gas engineer in to connect the gas, but I'm hoping to do the electrics myself.

Many thanks in advance!

Have you taken the switch off the wall to see if any cable is actually connected to the output?  If there is, then there must be a cooker outlet plate, you just have not found it yet.

Have you taken the switch off the wall to see if any cable is actually connected to the output?  If there is, then there must be a cooker outlet plate, you just have not found it yet.

Thanks for your reply, yes I have done and there definitely isn't an outlet plate connected. 

I'd say  get a 2.5 mm cable from your cooker  switch , into  a base unit  by the  oven   & fit a socket .   Replace the  cooker circuit breaker with a 20 amp .    

Or use a 6mm cable  , a deep  box for the socket  & leave the circuit breaker as it is . 

You say this is on a 30A supply presumably by looking at the breaker in the consumer unit that's labelled "COOKER"? Double check the cable is correctly sized. Very odd not to have an outlet plate imo. Unless there was provision for gas when the place was built and they saved a bob or two not putting an outlet plate in.

I have seen plenty, especially older houses, where there is no cooker outlet plate.  Just a length of conduit buried in the wall through which you feed the cooker cable up and directly into the back of the cooker switch.

I have seen plenty, especially older houses, where there is no cooker outlet plate.  Just a length of conduit buried in the wall through which you feed the cooker cable up and directly into the back of the cooker switch.
That was quite normal many years ago, haven't generally seen it done in the last 15 - 20 years

I have seen plenty, especially older houses, where there is no cooker outlet plate. Just a length of conduit buried in the wall through which you feed the cooker cable up and directly into the back of the cooker switch.

Thinking about it 30A rather than 32 maybe dates it as "old"?

Thread locked to prevent spam (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts