new electric hob, very old separate electric oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcP

Reaction score
Pre-existing electric oven 6.8 KW installed some years ago and working perfectly, off a 6MM cable with 32 Amp MCB. Current gas hob needs replacing. Want to replace with electric hob, not induction. I think I need a new  (and separate) circuit to drive the new electric hob as it'll draw at least 20 amps. Have I got that right?

Pre-existing electric oven 6.8 KW installed some years ago and working perfectly, off a 6MM cable with 32 Amp MCB. Current gas hob needs replacing. Want to replace with electric hob, not induction. I think I need a new  (and separate) circuit to drive the new electric hob as it'll draw at least 20 amps. Have I got that right?

I am not convinced the new hob will draw "at least" 20 amps..

As this would sugget the smallest single element is over 4.5kWatts ??

Are you sure its not UP-TO 20amps?

i.e. all hob elements on together would draw around 4.6 to 4.8kWatts..

There is a principle know as diversity that allows for the fact that every feature of an oven/hob is not on simultaneously...

So you don't always have to apply the maximum possible power an appliance may draw...

'

How long is the existing cable length supply from oven to CU?

What installation methods are used for the existing cable?   

How easy is it to run an additional circuit back to the CU?

IF relatively straight forward then it could well be beneficial to either install a new circut,

or upgrade existing to 10.0mm.

Guinness

Are you really sure you want to change to an electric hob ? 

We changed from gas to electric when we bought this bungalow. Both myself and Mrs cook, and we both hated it.

Cost quite a bit but it was out again within 12 months and a gas unit installed. My personal view is that once you've cooked on gas you won't be happy with an electric hob.

It's like using an electric shower after having a proper power shower.

Broadly agree with the above, but with the exception that I'm not including induction in the same group.

Induction is almost (but not quite) as controllable as gas, its safer, and its *much* quicker and easier to clean. I'd say the vast majority of us would be happy enough with induction, with only the serious professional or hobbyist cooks finding enough advantages to outweigh the dis asvantages of gas.

I imagine the only reason non induction electric hobs are still selling is price based, no one would think they offer any other avantage and for that reason they will often appear in new builds and tennanted properties. I'm not sure if the OP has his reasons for one, but I cant work out what they'd be!

Broadly agree with the above, but with the exception that I'm not including induction in the same group.

Induction is almost (but not quite) as controllable as gas, its safer, and its *much* quicker and easier to clean. I'd say the vast majority of us would be happy enough with induction, with only the serious professional or hobbyist cooks finding enough advantages to outweigh the dis asvantages of gas.

I imagine the only reason non induction electric hobs are still selling is price based, no one would think they offer any other avantage and for that reason they will often appear in new builds and tennanted properties. I'm not sure if the OP has his reasons for one, but I cant work out what they'd be!
some of the induction hobs I've fitted have been surprisingly low wattage. 

I am not convinced the new hob will draw "at least" 20 amps..

As this would sugget the smallest single element is over 4.5kWatts ??

Are you sure its not UP-TO 20amps?

i.e. all hob elements on together would draw around 4.6 to 4.8kWatts..

There is a principle know as diversity that allows for the fact that every feature of an oven/hob is not on simultaneously...

So you don't always have to apply the maximum possible power an appliance may draw...

'

How long is the existing cable length supply from oven to CU?

What installation methods are used for the existing cable?   

How easy is it to run an additional circuit back to the CU?

IF relatively straight forward then it could well be beneficial to either install a new circut,

or upgrade existing to 10.0mm.

Guinness
So I guess I'd better be sure its a 6mm not 10mm. Doh!