Traineeboy

SWA termination

Traineeboy

If you have a 10mm2 SWA that needs to come back to the main consumer unit but it would be a nightmare to gland into the consumer unit because it only has the Hager Square knock outs - would it be acceptable to terminate the SWA into a switch fuse then run a 10mm2 T+ E back to the board on a MCB.

I know it's probably best to do a submain  via Henley but is there anything wrong with doing it the way above. The SWA supplys a mini RCD unit in a shed so my thinking would be that the 10mm2 T + E from the switch fuse to the house consumer unit would’nt need RCD protection as the T+E would be clip direct and the SWA from the switch fuse to the shed is mechanically protected.

Thoughts?

steptoe

Be aware of the earth sizing. 

I wouldn't worry about the RCD bit as long as it's surface, but a bit of 10mm earth may be a good investment, 

You could just use a metal adaptable box , stuffing gland, etc, 

There is a picture somewhere of where my actual house supply/submain changes from tails to 16mm SWA via ISCOs and an adaptable box. 

Traineeboy
6 hours ago, steptoe said:

Be aware of the earth sizing. 

I wouldn't worry about the RCD bit as long as it's surface, but a bit of 10mm earth may be a good investment, 

You could just use a metal adaptable box , stuffing gland, etc, 

There is a picture somewhere of where my actual house supply/submain changes from tails to 16mm SWA via ISCOs and an adaptable box. 

Thanks, of course a 10mm2 earth from the switch fuse to the main consumer unit earth bar. I hear you about a metal box and could do that below the consumer unit to cover the square knock out. I know inside the adaptable box I could just bring the SWA cores through but if I wanted to join SWA to T + E without a switch fuse what's the best product to do that? 

Andy™

if its a small cable, like 4mm and less, you can use a galv conduit through box. larger and youll need a metal enclosure or similar to gland into and have enough space for terminations. you can get 100x100x50 metal enclosures fairly easily

can you not just make a round hole into the consumer unit though and gland it into there? and also look for SWA earthing nuts, far better than a banjo on some enclosures, especially into plastic boxes

binky

Have done this many times, but I usually use a plastic box. I don't normally fit a switch fuse if tapping into a spare way in the board. 

Fleeting

If it is close to the board I would use 10.0 6181Y and a 10.0 cpc then it is a case of like for like csa and crimps and you don't have the bother of the 4.0 cpc from the T&E.

SPECIAL LOCATION
5 hours ago, Traineeboy said:

Thanks, of course a 10mm2 earth from the switch fuse to the main consumer unit earth bar. I hear you about a metal box and could do that below the consumer unit to cover the square knock out. I know inside the adaptable box I could just bring the SWA cores through but if I wanted to join SWA to T + E without a switch fuse what's the best product to do that? 

You can get boxes that come with terminals suitable for you to join 10.0mm conductors..  

e.g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-57a-11-terminal-weatherproof-outdoor-adaptable-box-140-x-79-x-140mm/13096#product_additional_details_container

or if you want a bit more room 16.0mm terminals...  

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-101a-24-terminal-weatherproof-outdoor-adaptable-box-180-x-91-x-180mm/18734#product_additional_details_container

Guinness