Solar PV - Henley Block

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning,

I was called out to a fault find the other day, (photo attached), with regards to Solar PV connection. So the installer has connected the inverter straight into the Henley block as pictured. There are multiple fuseboards in the property, and are only linked via this block. When we install we always run the cable back to the main consumer unit, and it then feeds out from there. The CT clamps are also downstream next to the inverter, which would have to moved to the underside of the meter.

The installation is not got as it stands, some of the panels have not been connected properly, (and the scaffold has now gone), no SPD protection, no Type A RCD and no earth rod for the batteries either.

What are your thoughts on this please anyone - thank you.IMG_0150.jpeg

I would be asking who installed that.

If it was an MCS company (or claiming to be MCS) that is where I would start. But everything about that install is rough as, not just the solar PV connection.

You have to feel sorry for the poor house owner that paid for that, and want to go after the installer, of nothing else to try and stop them conning anybody else.

I would be asking who installed that.

If it was an MCS company (or claiming to be MCS) that is where I would start. But everything about that install is rough as, not just the solar PV connection.

You have to feel sorry for the poor house owner that paid for that, and want to go after the installer, of nothing else to try and stop them conning anybody else.
Hi,

It is pretty bad yes to say the least.

Apart from the issues I mentioned, I am trying to work out that if the CT clamps are connected below the meter, will the PV array work through the Henley block. Part of me says it might, but part of me says run a new feed to the main CCU in the house, then another one back to each of the other CCU’s.

Any comments/thoughts - thanks again.

Hi,

It is pretty bad yes to say the least.

Apart from the issues I mentioned, I am trying to work out that if the CT clamps are connected below the meter, will the PV array work through the Henley block. Part of me says it might, but part of me says run a new feed to the main CCU in the house, then another one back to each of the other CCU’s.

Any comments/thoughts - thanks again.
It will work fine, it just needs to be connected after the meter. CT clamps could go either side of the meter, they are looking for back feed to the grid to control charging of batteries. As for the rest, looks like it was a heap of rose fertiliser before they turned up, but that's no excuse for leaving it like that.

It will work fine, it just needs to be connected after the meter. CT clamps could go either side of the meter, they are looking for back feed to the grid to control charging of batteries. As for the rest, looks like it was a heap of rose fertiliser before they turned up, but that's no excuse for leaving it like that.
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.