JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

outside lights

paul b b

Question

Evening Gents,

I have to go to a job tomorrow and wanted to talk a few things through.

The guy wants 3 outside lights, the will be on the fence the other side of the drive so swa is needed.

I was thinking, bring t&e from cu to outside (1.5?) to a ip rated box, then swa under ground (1.5? it will be about 3 meters) then another ip rated box, now i suppose i depends on what type of light he wants (i know he wants pir) if i can run conduit in as it may look naff if he has fancy lights. is it ok to run t&e on a fence? and is it best to get a stand alone pir sensor?

whilst on the subject, can a sensor run any light? i suppose it just like a switch.

can you chaps confirm the above is ok, or if you have any sugestions i would be most greatful.

paul

14 answers to this question

Why not use white pvc conduit instead of T&E + SWA?

AndyGuiness Drink

i maybe able to use conduit, it depends on what lights he has, but i still need swa onder the floor right?

Whack the conductors that would be in the SWA into your conduit as singles.

AndyGuiness Drink

Whack the conductors that would be in the SWA into your conduit as singles.

AndyGuiness Drink

sorry zeespark, could you explane im having a blonde moment

Instead of SWA it might be better to use conduit and singles.

AndyGuiness Drink

is that ok under ground, i thought swa was the norm

Its fine underground, you can generally fit more circuits in conduit compared to a single circuit with SWA..

AndyGuiness Drink

Evans Electric

SWA under ground. Don't use T&E on the fence or outside, sunlight will eventually affect the insulation . I think I'd use black PVC conduit on the fence, what it looks like does not come into it .

r.e PIR & types of light. Some PIRs have issues with low loads e.g. CFL or LED. They can refuse to fire, or not put the light out once it`s lit. Also, remember that discharge (incl. CFL) needs 1.8 x wattage for startup currents.

KME

p.s. I`d prob. use SWA all the way to the locale of the light, then short final connection via flex (rubber or artic).

ok rubber or artic flex is better for outside. thanks chaps

Evans Electric

On the subject of flex, Black PVC flex is OK outside, not affected by sunlight.

I was of the impression that ALL pvc, when subjected to solar radiation, lost it`s plasticiser, rendering it UPVC.

Logic would have dictated, therefore, that black, which absorbs more of the sun`s rays, would have been more prone to this????

Where did you get the bit about it being alright from, Deke?

Archived