Dimplex storage heater stopped working 2 - Store Harder

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_

Reaction score
Hi All

Hope all are well and keeping safe.

It is that time of year and after turning my storage heater on it was still cold in the morning. It is a Dimplex CSLX18N on economy 7. The other heater on eco7 works, as does the convection heater on the main one. The fuse box and the fuse in the plug are ok. As per the orginal thread I checked the resistance on the ceramic termial blocks below the elements and get 31.5 Ohms on all of them. First question, is that correct for three elements or does it indicate not all of them are working? Am fairly sure, on past experience, that if one has failed the heater should continue to work with reduced storage.

I noticed that a plastic cover on one of the connections looked burnt and after minimal prodding it disintegrated. There is what appears to be a thermal switch but it does not click when depressed. It sounds like I can't post images until I have made more effort, so have shared some images on google (my phone apparently doesn't like macro shots very much):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DQiiHVLmqajfNXuWqhI3QddeO8P7paHD?usp=sharing

Is there anyway I can test this (if it's obviously not dead already) and is it something a non-electrician like myself can replace or should I be getting someone in at this point?

Thanks,

Ian.

Picture 1, measure on ohms between the 2 terminals it should be close to 0 ohms.  That type of trip is not very intuitive to reset, you have to insert a long small thin screwdriver between 2 bits of metal, hard to describe but something you don't forget once you have worked it out.

The fact the plastic cover over the terminal has broken apart will not stop it working.

31.5 ohms probably means only 1 of the 3 elements is still working, but it should still heat up, just not as much as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Checking multiple spots between the left and right terminals from image #1 reports 0 ohms. Guess that suggests the connection is ok.

My comment on the broken cover was more the fact it looked burnt potentially indicating something had criticaly failed.

Is there a way to check which elements have failed? Probably need to remove the inner panel to get access to the elements directly.