C& 2330...A waste of three years of my life!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeff737

Reaction score
Im very p'd off!!!

Having spent three years at evening classes to try and learn a trade and better my self and give my family a brighter future ive just been told by my tutor that its been a waste of time, money and effort.......................

we have had to compress the whole year three in to 20 weeks due to the collage charges...............

our exams are in eight weeks but tonight (after two years doing level two) he decided to tell us that we will not be the sparkies we thought we would be, that we can never self sertificate and therefore we can not start up on our own!!!!

Im 38, no one is going to take me on (let alone the fact that i earn good money in a job i hate) and ive made it clear all along that i wanted to go out there and make it for my self (domestic) as ive worked im factories for 20 years and i didn't ever want to set foot in one ever again........but he says unless i do the NVQ, which by all accounts is dam near imposible i can never go self employed ors self sert my work.......................so what the hell did leeds city collage think i was doing the dam course for?????

Your tutor has misinformed you, or you've misunderstood what he's said. With the 2330 you can join ANY self-certification scheme, you don't need an NVQ to join up.

Calm down - you'll be fine, and you WILL be able to go self-employed!

Marc.

Sorry, but your tutor is talking poo

I'm a self employed NICEIC DI

I've only got 2381 (not done the update course yet) and 2391

I have never seen a NVQ and never will at 38/39,,, unless it's someone elses!!

Good luck in your exams!

You don't even need to be qualified to issue Certificates.

BS7671 only requires that you be competent, obviously having qualifications will help to show that you are competent.

To join a self certfication scheme, you will have to produce evidence of whatever qualifications they require, and pass an assessment.

It may be that you will have to do a specific Part P course, usually these are 5 days long, which is where the term 5 day wonders originates.

get 2382.

get some experiance,

join a scheme.

sign off your own work.

you will prob have to work for cheap or free for a bit, its hard in your position but by no means imposible

here in Scotland we dont have partP

In England, 2330 level3 will get you domestic installer status (subject to an assessment)

with Niceic i I don't know about elecsa or any of the others.

Perhaps your tutor is talking about being recognized by the JIB. In which case you would need the NVQ.

This brings to mind my first day at college (only September 2009).

As my lecturer said to us completion of 2330 part 3 does not make us (the class) electricians, its the start to the process, he told us that we needed to complete an NVQ as well , but we was told that we could run an NVQ whilst completing 2330 part 3.

So I am interested in where this thread is going to go, my plan was to get part 2 out the way and then try to get a job house bashing to get some experience under my belt, whilst doing part 3, then spend a few years on the cards to get more experience and to learn from any mistakes whilst I have someone else with the knowledge to put it right whilst I can, then after that look at going self employed.

This brings to mind my first day at college (only September 2009).As my lecturer said to us completion of 2330 part 3 does not make us (the class) electricians, its the start to the process, he told us that we needed to complete an NVQ as well , but we was told that we could run an NVQ whilst completing 2330 part 3.

So I am interested in where this thread is going to go, my plan was to get part 2 out the way and then try to get a job house bashing to get some experience under my belt, whilst doing part 3, then spend a few years on the cards to get more experience and to learn from any mistakes whilst I have someone else with the knowledge to put it right whilst I can, then after that look at going self employed.
It's intriguing how different tutors have such differing opinions on the NVQ. My tutor has said the NVQ is a waste of time and not neccessary, and I think it was Admin (apologies if it wasn't you!) pointed out that the full 2330 course covers the NVQ2.

The JIB require you to have passed (on top of the 2330) NVQ level 3 OR the AM2 to be, by their definition, an electrician. But if you're self-employed the JIB is not relevant.

Marc.

Im very p'd off!!!Having spent three years at evening classes to try and learn a trade and better my self and give my family a brighter future ive just been told by my tutor that its been a waste of time, money and effort.......................

we have had to compress the whole year three in to 20 weeks due to the collage charges...............

our exams are in eight weeks but tonight (after two years doing level two) he decided to tell us that we will not be the sparkies we thought we would be, that we can never self sertificate and therefore we can not start up on our own!!!!

Im 38, no one is going to take me on (let alone the fact that i earn good money in a job i hate) and ive made it clear all along that i wanted to go out there and make it for my self (domestic) as ive worked im factories for 20 years and i didn't ever want to set foot in one ever again........but he says unless i do the NVQ, which by all accounts is dam near imposible i can never go self employed ors self sert my work.......................so what the hell did leeds city collage think i was doing the dam course for?????
load of crap

to join a scam provider, you dont even need 2330 - when i passed first assessment, i was a 2nd year apprentice and only had 2381 (but got asked many more questions that i would have if i did have the qualifications). as long as you have your 2330, and are competent and know how to I&T, you should be fine

Hi Guys, thanks for your support!!

Our tutor was loving telling us that we had wasted our time and money................he did mention something about joining a governing body of some sort (by then i had stopped listening) but said the test was several hour long, it has a 100% pass mark and "WITH OUR LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE NONE OF US STOOD A SNOWBALL IN HELLS CHANCE"!!!!!

He also said that the C&G 2330 is being discontinued at the end of the year.......so what happens if we fail level 3 (which is likely) or to those that did level 2 and took a year out from collage as i almost did, any one know what is going to replace it ???

Thanks fellas Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope that is not true as im in first year of 2330 part 2 Pray Pray Pray, would like to complete it and do part 3 once finished 2 .

Im at college tonight so will try to confirm this either way with my lecturer.

The JIB require you to have passed (on top of the 2330) NVQ level 3 OR the AM2 to be, by their definition, an electrician.
Actually the AM2 AND the NVQ Level 3 is required. The AM2 forms part of the evidence for the NVQ, as does the Technical Certificate fulfil the criteria for the underpinning knowledge.

The original poster shouldn't get too upset as the Level 3 Technical Certificate is required to complete the NVQ, so he should finish that and then do the NVQ.

I've never understood all the hostility to the NVQ - sure it's a pain to create the Portfolio of Evidence but it's there for a reason and is a great qualification to have. In my opinion JIB Grading is well worth the effort.

My mate's late brother was an ex sparks working as a lecturer at the main college in Brum for would be sparks.

Ha always maintained that the name of the game was the college getting bums on seats and off the unemployment list. He said a lot of the guys on his course would never be electricians as long as they a hole in their nether regions.

Things were simpler in the stone age , you progressed according to your expertise in theory while serving an apprenticship.

It went C&Guilds A...... C&Guilds B........ C&Guilds C .......ONC..... HNC ... a degree in Elect. Eng.

C&G A was deemed to be a minimum qualification to enter the kingdom of Sparkdom and give you the JIB Grade "Electrician"

B would give you "Approved Electrician"

C would give you "Technician"

Anyone with ONC or above was never going to be a sparks (on the tools) anyway and would have progressed to Design, Consultantcy, Local authority , teaching.

Sounds like Jeff 737 has been unfairly treated to me.

Deke

Actually the AM2 AND the NVQ Level 3 is required. The AM2 forms part of the evidence for the NVQ, as does the Technical Certificate fulfil the criteria for the underpinning knowledge.The original poster shouldn't get too upset as the Level 3 Technical Certificate is required to complete the NVQ, so he should finish that and then do the NVQ.

I've never understood all the hostility to the NVQ - sure it's a pain to create the Portfolio of Evidence but it's there for a reason and is a great qualification to have. In my opinion JIB Grading is well worth the effort.
Am I reading misreading something? From the JIB website-

"2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1."

Note 1 "If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent).

B) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians' Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability."

To me it basically says pass your AM2 and we'll give you a provisional grading, but it doesn't mention while undertaking NVQ 3. Am I missing something? ?:|

Marc.

If colleges stopped giving out trash information it would be a start.

AM2 can be used as evidence for NVQ but is in no way required to complete it.