Fluke err 4

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Evening all. Upon testing earth loop on a lighting circuit today, err 4 appeared on the screen. According to the manual this indicates a fault voltage. Tested voltage between L-E =240v L-N=240v and N-E=0v. Anybody had this problem before? Everything else tested out fine. I have the Fluke 1651. Cheers. J

My first thaught was the batterys and leads, however I don't seem to have a problem testing other circuits. Starting to bug me now!! J

I`ve had this a couple of times, with the 1652.

Generally, its either a bad connection at CPC / Neutral;

OR the Zs is high enough that maximum safe voltage (50 or 25V) will appear at CPC.

Check you`ve got "safe limit" at 50V, not 25V.

Then check Zs (DB). If you still get the error there, test the incoming phase v- earth as a two wire test (F1, phase & neutral probes).

HTH

KME

I've just done a search for this on t'internet and read that it could be something to do with the voltage threshold.. you can adjust this by pressing F4 on turning it on.... (apparently)

I`ve had this a couple of times, with the 1652.Generally, its either a bad connection at CPC / Neutral;

OR the Zs is high enough that maximum safe voltage (50 or 25V) will appear at CPC.

Check you`ve got "safe limit" at 50V, not 25V.

Then check Zs (DB). If you still get the error there, test the incoming phase v- earth as a two wire test (F1, phase & neutral probes).

HTH

KME
Zs(DB) is fine, and all other circuits test good, which makes me think the issue is with this perticular circuit.

Okay. You`ve obviously got r1r2; get rn as well - if r1r2 was okay, and rn is iffy - it`ll explain the error 4.

If the circuit doesn`t have an RCD, do as I suggersted above, and do a 2 lead test instead - see what happens.

Alternative - use the plug breakout lead for the neutral, plugged into a nearby socket. The reading doesn`t mean very much; but it does confirm the conductor at fault (you can swap this for phase, or cpc as necessary to get a reading)

KME

just as well,totally dog mess they are,

I woudnt take one for free, and TBH I dont think much of anyone that actually rates them,

believe too much speil IMO.

overpriced over hyped tat usually bought by 5ww pushed by tutors,

total BOS.

err4 usually refers to an E fault, or has been said, try adjusting your voltage to 50v.
Don't start me on Meggers.

just as well,totally dog mess they are,

I woudnt take one for free, and TBH I dont think much of anyone that actually rates them,

believe too much speil IMO.

overpriced over hyped tat usually bought by 5ww pushed by tutors,

total BOS.

You had problems with Megger??

Cos everyone I speak to swears by them and recon Flukes are cack. And im sure 5ww courses seem to push Metrel testers not Megger IMO.

Wasent there a poll and more people rated megger than fluke / metrel etc??

I`ve had my 1652 for 6 years now. Never needed calibration; never played me up. Had issues with the leads; but they`re an ancillary part, and you can replace with anyone`s leads (not that I`ve found a decent croc. clip from anybody).

Can`t fault it - other than the length of time for Zs tests on a TT system - of which I do a lot - can be up to 25 seconds...........

Which is a pain if you`re on a stepladder, holding the probes into a ceiling rose (especially if one of `em moves :( :( :( )

KME

TBH I would be happy with a Fluke or Megger..... they are both reputable brands.

But as it is I have a Megger MFT1502, the only problem that I have had with it in the 6 years that I've had it has been repaired under the 3 year warranty.. I have never had any other problems except for batteries and leads which you would expect!

I think if you look there are probably more threads with Fluke problems than there are Megger (I could be wrong though)

Ive had 3 meggers, blew up or broke all within a few weeks,

got a serious bang from one of them, thats when I demanded my money back, and bought a fluke.

10 times the meter.

most (if not all) the short course guys I have met have had megger cos the tutor sold it to them(as such).

I wont allow any of the subbies on our sites use megger, I just dont think they are any good for anything other than holding the door open.

I thought errr 4 was a stutterer playing golf !!!!!

So checked my Fluke manual:

Err1=self test fails

Err2=Over Temp

Err4=Fault voltage

Err5=Excessive Noise

Err6=Excessive probe Resisitance

Note: they have left out Err3 for some reason