230v label on CU's not needed?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only voltages exceeding 230v need a label?

so how do you apply this to CU's ?

only voltages exceeding 230v need a label?
Where does it say that?

Doesn't matter, I see where you've got it from. Again you could interpret a couple of ways, it says 'would not normally be expected'.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but it turns out I don;t fully understand the question!

Thinking about this some more, could the question be why do we have to stick 230V labels on the CU? If so, where does it say we have to?

Or have I guessed wrong this time?

Should I just stop guessing altogether and skip your questions, as fun and challenging as they are? ;)

Thinking about this some more, could the question be why do we have to stick 230V labels on the CU? If so, where does it say we have to?Or have I guessed wrong this time?

Should I just stop guessing altogether and skip your questions, as fun and challenging as they are? ;)
You would put 415/400 volt on three phase board I always put 230v on single phase I think it to help our foreign friends.

Where does it say that?Doesn't matter, I see where you've got it from. Again you could interpret a couple of ways, it says 'would not normally be expected'.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but it turns out I don;t fully understand the question!
But you have partly answered the question, so that line of thought is irrelevant.

The Godfather

You would put 415/400 volt on three phase board I always put 230v on single phase I think it to help our foreign friends.
Would it not be reasonable to expect the presence of 400V within a three phase distribution board? If so why a "Danger 400V" sticker?

Likewise, why would the presence of 230V not be expected on a single phase distribution board?

But you have partly answered the question
Or have I?

Would it not be reasonable to expect the presence of 400V within a three phase distribution board? If so why a "Danger 400V" sticker?
Because you need to provide a warning notice on enclosures with a nominal voltage of over 230V. 514.10.1

Would it not be reasonable to expect the presence of 400V within a three phase distribution board? If so why a "Danger 400V" sticker?Likewise, why would the presence of 230V not be expected on a single phase distribution board?
Have you not installed a three phase board with singler phase conversion?

Because you need to provide a warning notice on enclosures with a nominal voltage of over 230V. 514.10.1
Only where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected. On a three phase distribution board it clearly would be expected.

However if you had a 2-gang switch with each gang connected to a different phase then clearly the presence of 400V would not reasonably be expected.

Only where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected. On a three phase distribution board it clearly would be expected.
I suppose. But it says if differing voltages can be encountered then you need a label, so in a 3 phase board you would usually have 230V and 415V so would need a label.

is it not under 250v considered LV.
Under 1000V AC.

Or have I?
If you didn't fully understand the question, why attempt to answer then contradict, that is my point.

We are here to help and find the answers together, were are not in competition with each other (I'd like to think we are not).

The Godfather

Only where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected. On a three phase distribution board it clearly would be expected.However if you had a 2-gang switch with each gang connected to a different phase then clearly the presence of 400V would not reasonably be expected.
no if the voltage is above 230v it needs a label end of

is how o read it ;)

If you didn't fully understand the question, why attempt to answer then contradict, that is my point. We are here to help and find the answers together, were are not in competition with each other (I'd like to think we are not).
I think you are misreading my posts. I'm sure lostit knows his questions baffle and bemuse, but if we all looked, didn;t understand and then left it would be a threasd with no response and an unhappy OP.

I was merely requesting more information.

ok alot of us interpret the regs differently

has anyone been pulled up on an scheme provider inspection for not fitting a 230v warning label as your interpretation is not to?

Labels are for thickies like the ones that nail cables in walls the ones we have to put RCD/RCBO'S for.
your not wrong batty thumbsupsmilie

is there any illustration in the BRB of what a voltage label should look like?

eg wording, symbols, size, colour etc?

Last edited by a moderator: