C&g 2396 November / December 2012

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Wozz, you will need to show the drawing's for the entire system, when your ready we can go over the Thermal Constraint's using Adiabatic Lines :)
Cheers, in  that case I will abandon using MSWord, it was fine for the trunking runs but isnt accurate enough for the conduits.  The people that went for tray and 8436 cable wont have this problem but thats not my style.  

Here is another quick question, if given a total power of a light fitting by a manufacturer would you still apply the 1.8 figure to this when working out your loading?

I also have a Lambda figure but have no idea what this is.  I did google it and ended up on a werido american torch forum.  Do manufactures anywhere give details of inrush current?

So far i have been looking on the Thorn site but will hopefully be getting help off NVC in the near future.  

Thanks for any input.

Would there be any chance of getting my hands on some of your material including test papers, so I can have a go at them to see if the course is right for me, I am looking to enrol this month with a view on the June 2013 exam.  Any help or indicators would be appreciated.

Here is another quick question, if given a total power of a light fitting by a manufacturer would you still apply the 1.8 figure to this when working out your loading?
I also have a Lambda figure but have no idea what this is.  I did google it and ended up on a werido american torch forum.  Do manufactures anywhere give details of inrush current?

So far i have been looking on the Thorn site but will hopefully be getting help off NVC in the near future.  

Thanks for any input.
Check your PM'S Wozz

Got a phone call today got a distinction in the exam, one month to get the project in.   :B-

Struggling with this, work is getting in the way want it done by tuesday  X(

Im struggling with the emergency lighting design, does anyone know how far indepth I have to go with this? glare ect?

The amount of fittings im coming up with it ballsing up my circuit design!

Ive approached a few via email, in person and on the phone, ansell were the only ones willing to do anything, the rest just said too busy.

Im pleased ansell did do something but it was not nearly enough, just specified a few fitting and a vague datasheet.  

Either they are all too busy or know straight away its a project and dont bother.  

I even went to the extreme of trying to learning to use relux!  

Im hoping C&G dont want anything too in depth EM design wise. 

emergency lighting,

I do exactly what canoe has suggested,

I simply go to the wholesalers and get them to get their supplier to design and spec it for me,

Thanks canoe is seeing if he knows a manuf who will oblige.

Certainly eye opening with regard to containment layout, grouping is a real problem, my containment route is far from optimum but is the way it is to swerve grouping.  

Whacking a extra section in on site to cut down on runs ect, can have some unwanted outcomes! (although im sure in the real world nothing will go into meltdown).

Thankyou canoe very kind of you.  

this will be a long easter weekend.  

did both 2391's a few years ago and quite enjoyed all the study and project although the project took a hage amount of time. What was annoying was the yo yo ing of the project back and forth. I sent it in and it wass ent back with 'Have another look at...' so I did and sent it back. then it returned with another comment. It didnt help the Connaughts were taken over by British Gas half way through.

its a real eye opener, im nowhere near complete but I already know how I would approach it if I done it again.  

Enjoyable but very time consuming.  

Thanks canoe is seeing if he knows a manuf who will oblige.

Certainly eye opening with regard to containment layout, grouping is a real problem, my containment route is far from optimum but is the way it is to swerve grouping.  

Whacking a extra section in on site to cut down on runs ect, can have some unwanted outcomes! (although im sure in the real world nothing will go into meltdown).
Wozz, The lighting Design is straight forward, just use the Manufacturers Tables and Guides, any queries just speak to their Tech. Dont group more than 5 circuits, post what circuits are within  the contatinment and we can see if we can help any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wozz, The lighting Design is straight forward, just use the Manufacturers Tables and Guides, any queries just speak to their Tech. Dont group more than 5 circuits, post what circuits are within  the contatinment and we can see if we can help any.
My design so far, open to comments.

Ive ended up with lightly loaded circuits serving LDS boxes each supplying 5 fittings, this was done to keep the load centeral rather than in and out of every fitting, 5 metre flex to each fitting, this flex will be included in Zs, VD.  

Ive aimed to keep the circuits to 5 fittings (130w each) max, this is so I can use the 0.3xItxCg, to do away with the grouping, and let the power circuits use up the spare grouping this has created.  Does that make sense?

My design so far, open to comments.

Ive ended up with lightly loaded circuits serving LDS boxes each supplying 5 fittings, this was done to keep the load centeral rather than in and out of every fitting, 5 metre flex to each fitting, this flex will be included in Zs, VD.  

Ive aimed to keep the circuits to 5 fittings (130w each) max, this is so I can use the 0.3xItxCg, to do away with the grouping, and let the power circuits use up the spare grouping this has created.  Does that make sense?
Wozz, would need specific info, cable sizes, types of load etc, its difficult to advise without the full spec.

Cheers canoe sorted.  

More questions coming later

And the spreadsheet is now a monster .

When designing circuits with computers on them what do you use as a figure for leakage per work station (screen and tower)?

I know the max allowed by the COP but was looking for more of a working figure.  

Cheers