Ceiling Wiring Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms-Dimity

Reaction score
Evening, all

Hope whoever stumbles across my post is well.

Apologies if something like this has been posted before, but I thought I'd give it a try.

So, I am looking to replace my ceiling light and I have just managed to remove the chandelier without being electrocuted - touch wood! I'm a little confused about the blue wire with the brown strip? I have included a photo of the ceiling wiring and the new light fitting terminal. 

I presume all of the blues go to (2 wires) "N", all of the browns (3 wires), including the blue wire with brown strip go to "L" and all of yellow/green wires go into the middle.

Am I doing it right?  I'd appreciate your help.  Please break it down for me!  I've included photos.

https://ibb.co/hVmgzx

https://ibb.co/bKZZKx

Many thanks,

Leilei

I would say ,    almost 99%  sure ....as long as you have not moved those wires around  ...doing following  should be  OK   .  

That blue wire with the brown sleeve  is the  Sw/wire ..........it goes to  L on your light fitting . 

The  other two blues go  to N on the light fitting .

All the green /yellows go to E  on the light fitting .

The three remaining browns  all go in a separate  connector  ...NOT connected to the fitting  but tucked in  behind it  , taped up with insulating tape.

Make sure the power is SWITCHED OFF !!!!  

I would say ,    almost 99%  sure ....as long as you have not moved those wires around  ...doing following  should be  OK   .  

That blue wire with the brown sleeve  is the  Sw/wire ..........it goes to  L on your light fitting . 

The  other two blues go  to N on the light fitting .

All the green /yellows go to E  on the light fitting .

The three remaining browns  all go in a separate  connector  ...NOT connected to the fitting  but tucked in  behind it  , taped up with insulating tape.

Make sure the power is SWITCHED OFF !!!!  

Hi Evans,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

Do I put all of the browns in a connector like this: https://ibb.co/cdNwHH

Someone told me to put all the blues together in "N" and put all of the browns, including SW wire altogether in "L" .. I am awfully confused.

Thanks,

Leilei

Follow the advice of our man Deke, he’s been around for a while so knows what he’s talking about.........

....In most things, although it has been said that you may require a second opinion from Mrs Deke :C  

Someone told me to put all the blues together in "N" and put all of the browns, including SW wire altogether in "L" .. I am awfully confused.
Ignore them they are a numpty.

Yes the connector you have linked to will be fine, place all the browns in to it & tape it up.

Then as Deke has said

1. Turn off the power at the consumer unit.
  2. put the blue with brown strip in the L of your fitting.
  3. The two blue's in the N of your fitting.
  4. Put the gree/yellows in the Earth terminal of the fitting.
  5. Power back on & try the light.

Follow the advice of our man Deke, he’s been around for a while so knows what he’s talking about.........

....In most things, although it has been said that you may require a second opinion from Mrs Deke :C  

Thank you!

Ignore them they are a numpty.

Yes the connector you have linked to will be fine, place all the browns in to it & tape it up.

Then as Deke has said

1. Turn off the power at the consumer unit.
  2. put the blue with brown strip in the L of your fitting.
  3. The two blue's in the N of your fitting.
  4. Put the gree/yellows in the Earth terminal of the fitting.
  5. Power back on & try the light.

Thank you so much!

I will try it tomorrow!  Electric always seems to send me into a flurry.  I shall report back tomorrow!

Thank you!

Thank you so much!

I will try it tomorrow!  Electric always seems to send me into a flurry.  I shall report back tomorrow!

Hello all,

So I attempted to install the ceiling light, however, I've ran into a few issues installing the awful bracket which holds the light on the ceiling.  On inspection and drilling trial holes, the plasterboard area seems fragile and it crumbles every time I drive a plasterboard screw into the area.  I have no idea how the previous light managed to stay up as it was literally held in by two screws without a wall plug or plasterboard screw, which is concerning since I have a little one around! 

Any ideas on what kind of plasterboard screw or plug I can use?

Many thanks for your help.

Leilei

If you stick your finger in the hole where the cables come through (turn power off), you should hopefully be able to feel a joist where the fitting bracket will attach

No wood?

Is it plaster board? lath n plaster? 

Plaster board use:

metal_plasterboard_fixing.jpg.540c5e604d2836440fe9836c2ecd43f6.jpg

Lath n plaster use:

raw6684160g.jpg.0ccc25a4bc4d4a82273203dda0554e90.jpg

Sometimes you may need a setting tool for these or sometimes you can screw them in or use an Allen key depending on the brand you buy.

bc8ead2c2c239a91586a6f2164abde2c.jpeg.9a2fe04f6984cdff08a298eca92e6519.jpeg

:)

If you stick your finger in the hole where the cables come through (turn power off), you should hopefully be able to feel a joist where the fitting bracket will attach

Hello, Bluetotbits,

I've actually checked the hole and there's no joist there ... I just don't understand how the previous screws just stayed in place ...

GENTLY tap the ceiling with a hammer, listen for a change in the sound, a dull sound means you’ve found a joist, fix bracket here!! 

Sadly, there's no joist ... It's just one big and crumbly hole. 

No wood?

Is it plaster board? lath n plaster? 

Plaster board use:

metal_plasterboard_fixing.jpg.540c5e604d2836440fe9836c2ecd43f6.jpg

Lath n plaster use:

Sometimes you may need a setting tool for these or sometimes you can screw them in or use an Allen key depending on the brand you buy.

:)

It's plasterboard ... How I wish for masonry. 

I used the plasterboard screws, but the ceiling just crumbled away ...

There's a possibility the old fitting was screwed to a loose batton in the ceiling. This could have moved when you removed the old fitting.

How big is the hole? If wide enough say 2” then you could get a length of timber (2”x1”) approx 8”-12” in length, pass it through the hole and and then fix through bracket and ceiling into the wood. 

Tip: screw the wood into place at one end whilst holding it still through the hole. Then spin it to fix one side of the bracket then remove 1st screw, fix second screw in place. 

How big is the hole? If wide enough say 2” then you could get a length of timber (2”x1”) approx 8”-12” in length, pass it through the hole and and then fix through bracket and ceiling into the wood. 

Tip: screw the wood into place at one end whilst holding it still through the hole. Then spin it to fix one side of the bracket then remove 1st screw, fix second screw in place. 

Hey Sharpend,

The hole is pretty small, I'd say less than 2 inches wide, so I'm not too sure how I'd get the piece of timber inside.  If I did, that means I'd have screws showing on the ceiling .. guess I'd have to paint them over. 

Have you tried prodding about with a bit wire  or a stick  to find the edge of  the nearest joist ?  

Perhaps your worst case is to  slide a piece of wood into the hole ,  hold it down along the side of the hole , screw your bracket to it for a firm fixing ...then if the hole is showing outside the fitting  you'd have to patch it up . 

I think you’re missing the theory. 

Deke so kindly repeated!! 

The first screw is to hold the timber in place temporarily. You then fix bracket to timber which holds the timber in place. 

You then remove the visible screw and paint/fill.  Job done. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the ceiling accessible from the floor above? it may be easier to lift a floorboard and fix a wooden batten in place from above wedged between the joists.  other wise you will have to do as Sharpend suggests.  It may be easier to make a larger access hole from below to make it easier to fix a batten from downstairs. Plasterboard is thick enough to sink a plasterboard screw into sufficiently below the surface so you can patch and fill then paint over afterwards if needed. Depending upon how crumbly your ceiling is, you may need to make bigger access just so that you can reach a sufficiently strong section of ceiling to fix your batten to.

Doc H.

light fitting brackets tend to have screw holes too close together, so once edge has crumbled around cable hole in ceiling you are abit stuffed. Red rawl plug at 90deg from existing holes / crumbled edges may work, but as said above getting a piece of wood above ceiling tends to be the best option

I think you’re missing the theory. 

Deke so kindly repeated!! 

The first screw is to hold the timber in place temporarily. You then fix bracket to timber which holds the timber in place. 

You then remove the visible screw and paint/fill.  Job done. 

Thanks!

I managed to do this after removing all of the loose plaster ect. I currently have the light sitting within its bracket and will wire it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Have you tried prodding about with a bit wire  or a stick  to find the edge of  the nearest joist ?  

Perhaps your worst case is to  slide a piece of wood into the hole ,  hold it down along the side of the hole , screw your bracket to it for a firm fixing ...then if the hole is showing outside the fitting  you'd have to patch it up . 

Thanks!  Managed to do this!