consumer unit confusion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danijah

Reaction score
Hi there, i'm confused and concerned with what i've come across today. I took the front off my recessed consumer unit to discover that there is a 4mm twin and earth cable with the line conductor NOT terminated into an MCB. The only available MCB for it to be terminated into is a 16 amp type B, the neutral and cpc are both terminated in their correct places (earth & neutral bars). But i dont have any circuit in my house which requires a 16 amp MCB. I dont want to terminate the line conductor for fear that it might make a circuit live. Should i put a connector block on the conductor, and what amp should it be? All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks

I am doing a consumer unit change soon and i wanted to see whether there was enough length left on the cables.

if i was a betting man......... 16amp mcb ???????? disconnected ??????

mmmmmmmm.......

Are you sure its 4mm? that's a long radial for something
default_equal%20to%20less%20than.gif
a 16amp load.

AndyGuinness

Yeah will do, my mate has the multi funtion tester so i'll call him round tomorrow. I can't afford one yet. Cheers!

I'm fresh out of college mate but i'm certain its 4mm.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:12 ----------

K, thanks for the advice. But i dont like the idea of the conductor being LIVE in the CU without being made safe. Could i not isolate the supply then put a connector block on it, for piece of mind??

if your fresh from college and looking at changing a cu then tbh id be thinking you didnt have a great deal of experience enough to test everything correctly. id say instead get someone to help you do it whos time qualified and they can show you different things to help you get more experience. this isnt a go mate i just think your safety and others that you ma allow use of the electricity may just mean you could get hurt.

You can't just make things live in that way Danijah, its almost certainly a redundant circuit , the live could be touching that small section of copper pipe under the bath tap. A quick note on some insul. tape would have been helpful to those of us who come later .

i agree, get some help on this one who can explain step by step, esp with the testing, we do not want you to get a shock...

if the live conductor is loose inside the consumer unit, it will not be live...
I do tend to agree but what if its the 'other' leg of a ring that has popped out? Highly unlikely but never assume dead without testing first ;)

Sent from my Desire Z

I think you would be wise getting someone who can fully test, certify and notify the LABC, of this proposed CU change.

Doc H.