Correct way to joint 3 x 30 Amp cables, 30A JB not big enough

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once sub contracted to a company whose foreman told me that any joins in wires shouldn't be made with a screw terminal but instead crimped, because screw connections were unsafe.
I asked how we were meant to carry on connecting switches and sockets, I didn't get an answer...
New Mk quick fix range don't have screw terminals. Maybe that foremans made a mint with his idea ??????? Lol

I agree but in real practical terms would you not agree that it would be highly unlikely to cause a fire or have any issues at all?
If done up properly, they shouldn't cause a fire. Many thousands of JBs have been hidden under floorboards and in attics without causing fires. However, if you have ever had to find one because test results show a fault, you would understand why the practice was stopped.

However, if you have ever had to find one because test results show a fault, you would understand why the practice was stopped.
I can see that and in fact have been there, done that and got the T shirt. I’m not totally sold on sprung contacts ‘v’ properly sized and tightened screw terminals though. There is of course a greater margin for error with the screw terminal.

so a bodge..... and we wonder why.....
requires to be properly resolved with the right kit. or rewired to move the pudding joint to an easy place. pudding joint kitchen... who would have thought it....
A 'pudding joint' by which I assume you are referring to a round bakelite JB is unsuitable for this purpose in any location and would be a 'bodge'. ,Silly MF confected regs designed to achieve precisely nothing in terms of real world safety but merely stimulate sales of increasingly brand specific 'solutions' do not make a perfectly soundly made connection in a suitable enclosure a 'bodge' , just technically non-compliant.

I can see that and in fact have been there, done that and got the T shirt. I’m not totally sold on sprung contacts ‘v’ properly sized and tightened screw terminals though. There is of course a greater margin for error with the screw terminal.
In this case I think I would have crimped an extension to the feed cable to allow the JB to be moved under a kitchen unit, so it would be accessible behind the kickboard. That's compliant.

In this case I think I would have crimped an extension to the feed cable to allow the JB to be moved under a kitchen unit, so it would be accessible behind the kickboard. That's compliant.

Problem is that given the OP's input it sounds like this is in the kitchen ceiling:)

Good to see one group that hasn't incurred the wroth of the OP by somewhat condoning his actions

Good to see one group that hasn't incurred the wroth of the OP by somewhat condoning his actions

on the contrary, it’s good that a DIYer has asked for guidance and heeded some of it.

per my earlier comment, what’s been done is an improvement on how it was before.

To be fair he has done a neat job probably better than some who trade as electricians but nevertheless we shouldn't condone it.

another option is a fast fix applelby box in the ceiling cut in plasterboard and connection made within the box and a blank plate screwed over the top of the joint on the box, the joint is accessible but also discreet job done and compliant

How about - all joints should be easily accessible. None should be in a location that requires extensive destruction to access - no lifting of floors, no disturbing walls... just simple straightforward wiring. that's the exemplar, And when you deviate from that your adding problems, that you had the opportunity to resolve.

How about - all joints should be easily accessible. None should be in a location that requires extensive destruction to access - no lifting of floors, no disturbing walls... just simple straightforward wiring. that's the exemplar, And when you deviate from that your adding problems, that you had the opportunity to resolve.
Theory is great, down to earth practical resolutions to a problem can be a very different matter. Sure he could have chased the walls out and put a new cable in with no joint, that's utopia BUT with all the risks considered he decided to make the joint knowing full well the exact location of it should it be an issue in the future. I'm sure the majority of people would have chosen this option rather than the 'proper' one.

Theory is great, down to earth practical resolutions to a problem can be a very different matter. Sure he could have chased the walls out and put a new cable in with no joint, that's utopia BUT with all the risks considered he decided to make the joint knowing full well the exact location of it should it be an issue in the future. I'm sure the majority of people would have chosen this option rather than the 'proper' one.
Unfortunately in the UK the householder can generally do as he or she pleases no one is particularly monitoring it.

Unfortunately in the UK the householder can generally do as he or she pleases no one is particularly monitoring it.
How far does this have to go in your view? Filling your car up with fuel should it be only done by a qualified person with appropriate PPE? Painting and decorating again should it be qualified people only, hazardous materials, working at height etc? Should everyone be required to be a health and safety assessor before being allowed to do anything? What about cooking and baking, hygiene certificate needed before you can make yourself a round of toast?

Where do you draw the line?

and nobody is particularly monitoring people charging money for this either
Just like the apprentice grease monkey at the garage working on your brakes, not a comforting thought. Years ago I used to fly light aircraft, my aircraft (Cessna 172 Reims Rocket) had been 'serviced', a 2000 hr check. My next flight taking some friends to the isle of man TT we had a fire in the engine compartment, emergency landing in a field, the fire had gone out by the time we landed. The cause? a rag had been left in the engine compartment, had dropped onto the exhaust and burned, lots of smoke and a bit of a fire. The engineer who had done the work had finished it and got the apprentice to refit the cowl covers. Hmmmmmmm.

Latest posts