Correct way to joint 3 x 30 Amp cables, 30A JB not big enough

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourtytwo

Reaction score
Good evening everybody. I have a cooker feed from the CU that is then split under the floor above the kitchen to separate outlets for the hob & Oven. The problem is a standard 30A JB does not have big enough terminals to accommodate the wires. The person who installed this has cut some of the strands and one of the terminals appears cross threaded in the attempt. I am just about to close the floor permanently with wretched laminate and am not happy to leave this as is under the floor, any suggestions how to improve it ?

Attachments

• P1170556.JPG
    P1170556.JPG
    874 KB · Views: 2
  • P1170557.JPG
    P1170557.JPG
    925.5 KB · Views: 0
Could you not move the cables to place the connection above floor level, perhaps in the kickspace under units, or the base of the cooker housing?- and of course use an adequate junction box.

Could you not move the cables to place the connection above floor level, perhaps in the kickspace under units, or the base of the cooker housing?- and of course use an adequate junction box.
Unfortunately Geoff this is in the ceiling above the kitchen so that option is out.

Seems like the solution is MF terminals & box but I have yet to find where I can buy then in low quantities.

Ahh thank you Fleeting & Murdoch, it would be bad to spend the money on the connectors only to find they are NBG. No chance of replacing the cables, so need a bigger connector, any suggestions ?

How about the Knightsbridge 60 amp JB, that has a terminal capacity of 25mm2 ?

Last edited: