Domestic rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they are not. A fuseboard is a board with fuses in it. Not used for decades. Please don’t advertise your ignorance.
for more technical people yes. for idiots / everyone else, its still often referred to as fuse box. same way as prople still use hoovers even though thy own a henry, dyson etc

and in many places, they still use fuses so fusebox would still be correct anyway

No they are not. A fuseboard is a board with fuses in it and they have not been installed this century. Some ignorant people including so called electricians use the term incorrectly sadly.

er... I've installed fusesboxs this century. last one a few years ago... and id say many people here have also installed fuse boxes at some point this century. maybe not in your little world of house bashing, but fuses are still widely used and likely will be for many years to come

Somebody needs to have a word with FUSEBOX. A company that makes consumer units. Their sales must be through the floor due to this marketing nomenclature faux pas

Let's have a debate on lamp v. Bulb,
MEGGER v. insulation tester
Green sleeve v. Circuit protective conductor identification sleeve
PA Testing v. pat testing
Vacuum cleaner v. Hoover

er... I've installed fusesboxs this century. last one a few years ago... and id say many people here have also installed fuse boxes at some point this century. maybe not in your little world of house bashing, but fuses are still widely used and likely will be for many years to come
I changed a fuse yesterday...last of the Wylex boards judging by it's good condition, so 20 ish years old.

One last question. Where the three cables exit from the channel on the right hand side, are they allowed to just "emerge" from the plastered wall?
Basically yes they can but it's as rough as fek. He could have chased into the corner and run them along the back. Or clipped them to the surface of the plaster.
Regards the first image. It looks like the walls are dot n dab over original plaster which makes for extreme depth. Simple rectified by either deeper back box or bringing the box he's used further forward.

A long list of snagging and Personally I would be asking him to rectify this before he gets the money. If he doesn't I would be retaining the money and telling him after you have paid the plastering team the extra cash to rectify his job you will give him the remainder.

Btw I'm not a electrician just a property developers and understand the difficulty faced when chasing back boxes and also the problem the plaster faces to rectify poor back box installation.
A electrician who has pride in his work would install the boxes correctly and a decent plasterer can rectify any problems when they are don't have pride.

I hope you haven't paid them yet, that's awful.
...indeed it is john2713 the only thing missing, it wasn't wired in wet rope, tis a sad day when a noble plasterer shakes his head, at such "work" but then all trades are often/sometimes, all judged by this kind of stuff.

Basically yes they can but it's as rough as fek. He could have chased into the corner and run them along the back. Or clipped them to the surface of the plaster.
Regards the first image. It looks like the walls are dot n dab over original plaster which makes for extreme depth. Simple rectified by either deeper back box or bringing the box he's used further forward.

A long list of snagging and Personally I would be asking him to rectify this before he gets the money. If he doesn't I would be retaining the money and telling him after you have paid the plastering team the extra cash to rectify his job you will give him the remainder.

Btw I'm not a electrician just a property developers and understand the difficulty faced when chasing back boxes and also the problem the plaster faces to rectify poor back box installation.
A electrician who has pride in his work would install the boxes correctly and a decent plasterer can rectify any problems when they are don't have pride.
Your post is pretty much on the mark, you don't need to be a car mechanic to know when a car has a burst exhaust...as they used to say.

When talking to the lay person, especially those of advancing years "Fusebox" is more easily understood than "Consumer Unit" and please don't advertise your arrogance.
Maybe so. Part of your job is educating those lay people.

It means finishing off and putting the accessories like socket outlets and switches in place, normally done after the plastering has been done.

Got you. We actually live in the house and there is no opportunity to vacate it whilst tradesmen to their thing. The fixed installation had to be made suitable to use until the plasterer could get round to doing his work.

So if I replace three switched double sockets with three switched double USB sockets and then the electrician tests the fixed installation, finds nothing wrong and issues a draft certificate, that EIC is void?

Edit: So the installer shouldn't have tested / issued certificate until after the plasterer had finished?

Last edited:

Latest posts