HDMI issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May not have been the problem here but I’ve had cases where a TV etc is reset or updated and defaults to non-UHD input mode while the attached HDMI peripherals have (still) been set to UHD mode and their output is un-recognisable to the TV which announces no signal or just sits there.

The TVs have a setting in the inputs menu to switch an input to UHD capable but that’s not the default

I believe more recent TVs handle this better

I would be surprised if a standard hairdryer gets hot enough to re flow solder, and in any event you would want to flux the board first?

I doubt it was re flowing the solder and I doubt it will be a reliable permanent fix.
the hairdryer trick works as it just manages to expand a dry joint enough that it connects again, if its an HDMI chip then its probably "balled" they have a bad reputation for failing. That heat is just enough to make the bad joint reconnect, sometimes its semi permanent sometimes its just until it cools down again, only proper fix is to re ball it. and that's a pain in the arse!
Stu