Hello people :-) advice needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borolad06

Reaction score
currently studying my c&g level 3 in which i am due to be finished next month, recently passed my online exam in which i gained a distinction :) got 2 written tests to go and my practical.

basically need some advice on what to do after the course? im not employed within the industry though i want too whist becoming fully qualified. How do i become fully qualified? And if i become an apprentice and do my nvq level 3 how much do i get paid? Im 22. Is there anyway you can become fully qualified working as a mate? Just want to know the best route to go down really ; \

You'd be best looking at getting your 2382 after your level 3 (1 day update course).

You become fully qualified, in the JIB's eyes, by having your NVQ3 along with your 2330. This can only be done when you're on the job, so yes, technically you can become fully qualified working as a mate.

I have no idea how much you would earn as an apprentice; one job I looked at last week set the first year at something like

You'd be best looking at getting your 2382 after your level 3 (1 day update course).
I did my 2382 whilst doing my 2330 Level 2. And you can only do the Update course if you already hold the old 2381 (and even then it has time scales attached to it).

i did the update and i don't have 2381. was told because level 3 is learned to the 17th edition the short course is all i'll need.

past all these last year and my advice is try and get some experience with a friend or some one you no.so much more to learn after you finish college it`s unbelievable.

college learn you the basics when you out there (big wide world) so much more to learn.

i did the update and i don't have 2381. was told because level 3 is learned to the 17th edition the short course is all i'll need.
Nope. You need to hold the 2381 (and there is a certain time timeframe - or else holders of the 2381 have to do the full 2382 exam too).

Don't know why your college did that? :| But you were lucky.

Nope. You need to hold the 2381 (and there is a certain time timeframe - or else holders of the 2381 have to do the full 2382 exam too).Don't know why your college did that? :| But you were lucky.
My college let you do the update course as well after the 2330. No need for 2381. One lad wanted to do his 2382 and asked what the difference was between the college's 12-week and a different place's four-day course. Both my ac-theory tutor & our I&T tutor told him to wait and do the one-day update.

You sure your college isn't out to make a few

Nope. You need to hold the 2381 (and there is a certain time timeframe - or else holders of the 2381 have to do the full 2382 exam too).Don't know why your college did that? :| But you were lucky.
I agree with admin.

During my 2330 (both levels) we got the regs out about 6 times - there is no way that's equivalent to the full regs course.

2330 might be taught to the 17th edition, but it's not teaching you all the regs and how to find the information that you need in 'the book'.

The update course is for people who already know there way around the regs book (i.e. 16th edition), and just need to learn about the changes.

You'd be a fool not to do the full course and I'm pretty sure C & G wouldn't condone it.

our 2330 level 3 was quite good on the regs. we were dipping in and out of the big red book all the time. and i have to say when i did the short course i wasn't phased at any time thinking there was anything i hadn't seen before. maybe your tutor had a different method to mine.not saying i know the regs inside out but i'm confident of finding anything i'll need when needed.

yeah im having that issue too. I've got all my C&G regulations through college, but now they've done away with the 2330 course im stuck. basically you can either choose to do an AM exam or an NVQ, they are the two options i've been told to look at, although you can also get a Domestic Installers qualification through certain colleges that allows you to work only in Domestic workareas (obvioulsy) and i think its recognised by the NIC. Its full name is DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLERS COURSE. Its an intensive 5 day cousre, but at the end you're qualified, but only if you want to stay on the Domestic scene, whereas the NVQ is a long procedure, and qualifies you in all aspects of the industry. Sorry if thats long winded! :)

Hope that helps.

yeah im having that issue too. I've got all my C&G regulations through college, but now they've done away with the 2330 course im stuck. basically you can either choose to do an AM exam or an NVQ, they are the two options i've been told to look at, although you can also get a Domestic Installers qualification through certain colleges that allows you to work only in Domestic workareas (obvioulsy) and i think its recognised by the NIC. Its full name is DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLERS COURSE. Its an intensive 5 day cousre, but at the end you're qualified, but only if you want to stay on the Domestic scene, whereas the NVQ is a long procedure, and qualifies you in all aspects of the industry. Sorry if thats long winded! :) Hope that helps.
Have you already got the 2330? You don't need to do a 5 day DI course to become registered. Infact if you've got level 3 & 2391 you can register. The 5 day course is for people changing industries, as well as plumbers, kitchen fitters etc. This doesn't limit you to domestic work. See this thread, specifically post 11.

The NVQ is a portfolio of work, and to undertake an NVQ you have to be working in the industry. The AM2 is obviously a worthy certificate, but most who do the NVQ take the AM2 at the end of it anyway (apprentices anyway).

Have you already got the 2330? You don't need to do a 5 day DI course to become registered. Infact if you've got level 3 & 2391 you can register. The 5 day course is for people changing industries, as well as plumbers, kitchen fitters etc. This doesn't limit you to domestic work. See this thread, specifically post 11.The NVQ is a portfolio of work, and to undertake an NVQ you have to be working in the industry. The AM2 is obviously a worthy certificate, but most who do the NVQ take the AM2 at the end of it anyway (apprentices anyway).
yeah i have the 2330, but I dont have the 2391, but will look into it as alot of people say its worth taking.

Have you already got the 2330? You don't need to do a 5 day DI course to become registered. Infact if you've got level 3 & 2391 you can register. The 5 day course is for people changing industries, as well as plumbers, kitchen fitters etc. This doesn't limit you to domestic work. See this thread, specifically post 11.The NVQ is a portfolio of work, and to undertake an NVQ you have to be working in the industry. The AM2 is obviously a worthy certificate, but most who do the NVQ take the AM2 at the end of it anyway (apprentices anyway).
unless things have changed since i was at college the am2 is a part of the nvq, you cannot have a nvq3 without a am2.

My advice is get a job do both get a jib card and then evaluate your options.

HTH

Things must have changed because im quite certain you can have an nvq3 without having the am2

Saysing the C&G own notes for the 2382 update that a lvl 3 passed recently is good enough to do the update only

i am doing my nvq 3 now and at the end i sit the am2 got to have portfolio done before i can sit the am2 or certificate will not be handed out.

i think there is another way around this i was talking to a lad at college who was doing nvq all he had to do was 3 job descriptions get it all signed of then apply for his gold card.so he said !

Latest posts