New Glass Sheild (Son Floodlight)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at our sailing club this evening and was asked to look at a son flood light (some time) that had lost its glass shield

Now, before I get my ladders out to get a closer look... (I don't even know if the fitting works or why the shield has fallen out)

Can you get replacement shields or is it time for a new fitting?

and if it is time for a new fitting is it worth replacing it with another son or would a LED fitting be better?

Its usually cheaper to get a new fitting than trying to locate a replacement glass. A friend of mine has a glass shop &  does get glass tempered weekly (mainly for kitchen splashbacks) but not many glaziers do this & it can be expensive. Also the smaller pieces can break in the furnace so  it adds more time to get it done again.

If it's obvious & common you may get a replacement.

However, I've been getting polymer bodied Son/MH 400W asymmetrical floods with marine grade stainless "bits" for about £70.

Over centre clips to open the face, and all the gear, connections, lamp holder etc. is there in front of you so a tool less lamp change.

TBH for this client, not worth bothering with repair, because the cherry picker is more than the cost of the fittings!

You've got me thinking now Sidey as this lamp is on a wooden pole right on the quay side..... I was just going to sling my ladder up against it (tied on).... but that is starting to look less attractive now I think about it

I'll have a better look over the next few days (when I get a chance), I may be able to access using my ladders in the A config but if not I may look at getting a cherry picker.

Could you PM me the details of those fittings Sidey? I think they'd be perfect seeing as they will be right by the sea!

Noz,

We fitted them first in a valley site close to the sea front in Swansea, to replace the exterior grade aluminium alloy fittings that were there that literally fell apart when we touched them.

I get them from a local independent wholesaler, who really look after me, so pricing may be an issue.

PM on the way.

I went to my local independant this morning

Ansell

A150MHLP (11250 lumens) £56.13

A200MHLP (20000 lumens) £78.67

A320MHLP (30000 lumens) £78.00

A400SONTP £75.75

Lumilneux 50W LED (4000 lumens) £65.00

So it looks like the lumens output of the LED is nowhere near that of the others :eek:

If you need to hire a cherrypicker in the northwest area try Peter douglass platforms in Bredbury nr Stockport. Or highland access in trafford park

Pretty different on a £/lumens basis, but, you can still get the output with lower energy lamps, at the moment with LED floods you get what you pay for performance wise

I can recommend Pete Douglass in Bredbury. A few years ago I had to fix a couple of car park lights on the Peel Centre in a stockpot. Douglas.s were about 5 mins away. Sent a machine and driver....needed him for 3 hours and got invoiced for 3 hours! Prob coz it was just around the corner, but, they didn't have to

Just recommending.......

I can recommend Pete Douglass in Bredbury. A few years ago I had to fix a couple of car park lights on the Peel Centre in a stockpot. Douglas.s were about 5 mins away. Sent a machine and driver....needed him for 3 hours and got invoiced for 3 hours! Prob coz it was just around the corner, but, they didn't have to

Just recommending.......
It'd probably take him 3hrs to get here ;)

I have a local co. who supply MEWPs