New PV install question, Solax inverter setup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmancentral

Reaction score
I just had a PV system (no battery) installed and I'm not sure the installer did everything correctly.

It's a 4kW system in a single string connected to a Solax inverter (non-hybrid). This is connected to an isolator and MCB, via a 3rd party generation meter, and then on to the smart meter via a splitter as expected. The inverter has an input for a CT but the CT isn't installed (the data wire from the inverter is just sticking out near the CU, as if he forgot to connect one). The inverter shows the PV generating power correctly but 'PGrid' is NAN.

Also the inverter's wifi dongle isn't connected to my Solax Wifi so the app doesn't work.

My questions are:

- what's the point of the separate generation meter? just for reference, required by MCS?
- should the inverter have a CT, and if so, should it measure the grid export/import, the solar generation, or the CU load?
- why does the inverter need the CT, just for displaying full info in the app?
- is the solax app worth bothering with? I will have my own monitoring system once I get some CTs.

The Solax manual is vague at best, hence the questions!

I just had a PV system (no battery) installed and I'm not sure the installer did everything correctly.

It's a 4kW system in a single string connected to a Solax inverter (non-hybrid). This is connected to an isolator and MCB, via a 3rd party generation meter, and then on to the smart meter via a splitter as expected. The inverter has an input for a CT but the CT isn't installed (the data wire from the inverter is just sticking out near the CU, as if he forgot to connect one). The inverter shows the PV generating power correctly but 'PGrid' is NAN.

meter not connected I think - you don't actually need this
Also the inverter's wifi dongle isn't connected to my Solax Wifi so the app doesn't work.

My questions are:

- what's the point of the separate generation meter? just for reference, required by MCS?
Originally for FiT payments, but they don;t exist anymore, so I would guess MCS still require fitting a meter, although it has no function.
- should the inverter have a CT, and if so, should it measure the grid export/import, the solar generation, or the CU load?
Not needed without a battery.
if you had a battery it would control energy flow to and from battery
- is the solax app worth bothering with? I will have my own monitoring system once I get some CTs.
tends to be quite good.
most Chinese manuals are vague :D

thanks, that's very useful.

I guess because the inverter is not a hybrid then the function of 'control energy flow to the battery' would be achieved by communicating over Modbus to the AC coupled battery inverter? The Solax inverter doesn't have a way of diverting power to anything other than the AC output so can't route its output directly to a battery. In that case wouldn't the AC coupled battery inverter just handle that task itself by measuring relevant currents? Speculative as I don't yet have a battery...

You state your model is non hybrid.

Solax X1 Boost only work with solar and not batteries.

Looks like installer put in energy meter could be Eastron 230 or Chinnt DSU666
wired but not connected to inverter

Inverter will work but with little info

In inverter settings if Meter or CT is selected and cable is not inserted in inverter there will be Fault in Inverter Screen in Flashing Red

My guess this has not been done.

If had been done inverter working correctly

If wired incorrectly meter or if using CT to inverter and confirmed setting of Use Meter or CT Selected the inverter would show Fault at startup and go no further

That is Why I think from what you stated
Meter wired with Ethernet RG45 to Meter or CT Connectir (one connector either Meter or CT use not both) on inverter but not connected

Follow the instructions to install and setup the WiFi dongle

Do you have the model info

You can do CT to the incoming Live after DNO meter then to the Meter/CT Connector in The inverter to monitor via Solax Cloud or Solax mobile app.

Different Solax models have different CT pinouts Pins for RG45 but most us
Pin 1 white/orange
Pin 4 Blue
X1 AC power models

Pin 1 white/orange
Pin 8 Brown
X1 Boost/Hybrid models

Do you have the model info

You can do CT to the incoming Live after DNO meter then to the Meter/CT Connector in The inverter to monitor via Solax Cloud or Solax mobile app.

Different Solax models have different CT pinouts Pins for RG45 but most us
Pin 1 white/orange
Pin 4 Blue
X1 AC power models

Pin 1 white/orange
Pin 8 Brown
X1 Boost/Hybrid models
It is X1 Boost and that second pinout matches the manual.

I will check inverter settings to see whether Meter or CT is configured.

I also have Solax X1 Boost 3.6kW inverter for PV 5.2kW array split south east/ south west, no CT or Meter just Solax WiFi dongle

Solax WiFi dongle for the cloud and iPhone gives you details

Then got Solax X1 AC 3.6kW inverter and Solax Master and slave batteries 11.6kW connected by CT pins 1 and 4 (or Solax compatible Meter) for power usage charge and discharge
also on Solax WiFi dongle version 3 seems faster, all info on cloud and iPhone for both Solax inverters,

On Octopus Go 0030-0430 hrs for EV charging and battery charging.

If the meter/CT is set to CT and no CT input it will read the "meter" as 0. If the meter/CT is set to meter you can enable/disable it in the settings menu. So it is possible to have no meter connected and no error will be displayed displayed via either method. I am assuming the settings menu is similar to the hybrid inverters here.

My questions are:

Hi, the Solax non-hybrid inverters are supplied without a CT clamp which is why your installer won't have installed one. The CT clamp is required for hybrid installations to measure the power being drawn from, or discharged to, the grid and then to supply it from, or send it to, the battery. Installing a CT clamp would show you how much energy is being used in the property and how this is being offset by solar production.

In response to your questions;

The generation meter is required under MCS regulations to register the installation (this is done against the serial number of the generation meter and is a throwback from when feed-in tariffs were offered as an incentive and any power generated was recompensed).

Standard, non-hybrid Solax inverters are supplied as standard without CT clamps

If you are getting your own CT clamps, the only reason to bother with the Solax App would be that it would let you know if there is an issue with the inverter. This may be useful if it is located in a place that is out of sight such as the attic.

I hope this helps!

Alan

thanks, that's very useful.

I guess because the inverter is not a hybrid then the function of 'control energy flow to the battery' would be achieved by communicating over Modbus to the AC coupled battery inverter? The Solax inverter doesn't have a way of diverting power to anything other than the AC output so can't route its output directly to a battery. In that case wouldn't the AC coupled battery inverter just handle that task itself by measuring relevant currents? Speculative as I don't yet have a battery...
If you were to add an AC coupled battery inverter, it would have it's own meter or CT clamp to perform this function

Latest posts