Terminating 16mm earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danijah

Reaction score
Good evening all, I've just done a CU change in my own home. Everything went well until i realise i wouldnt be able to terminate my 16mm main earth into the side of the supply cable's bullet fuse which currently has a 6mm earth in it. The holes on the earth block are too small to get 16's in. Any suggestions on how to over come this. please let me know. I had to leave the current 6mm terminated but linked to my 16mm main earth and 10mm bonding via the main earth block i installed. All replies will be appreciated, thanks.

seperate the 16mm cores into different holes of the MET.

Any pictures of your cu change & the holes the 16mm will not fit into?

Theres currently a 6mm earthing conductor coming from the MET at the head of the TN-C-S. I've upgraded the main earth in the CU to 16mm and both bonding conductors to 10mm. Therefore i would have to upgrade the earth conductor at the head of the TN-C-S to 16mm too. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.

Never come across a head I couldn't get 16mm into.
You poor sod, there is tablets if you want to get bigger lol!

I'm thinking has the OP been trying to get the 16mm in the earthing terminal alongside the 6mm and this is what is causing the problem?

Hi All,

I am confused too!! The thing on the TNCS cutout is not the MET at all but the neutral block, that is why the neutral goes in it... A 16mm earthing conductor runs from here to your MET [A proprietory brass earth block that WILL have a big enough hole in the one end!!] and here you terminate all your bonding conductors and the CPC that leads to the earth bar in the CU..

Pictures please!!

john...

16mm from my earth block (MET) to the CU. Two 10mm from my earth block bypassing CU, and going straight to water and gas pipes. 6mm coming from the side of the cut-out (soz for the confusion chaps) to my earth block temperarily until I know how to terminate my 16mm ( replace 6mm for 16mm) hope this makes sense to you all.

View attachment 3072

16mm from my earth block (MET) to the CU. Two 10mm from my earth block bypassing CU, and going straight to water and gas pipes. 6mm coming from the side of the cut-out (soz for the confusion chaps) to my earth block temperarily until I know how to terminate my 16mm ( replace 6mm for 16mm) hope this makes sense to you all. View attachment 3072
Doesn't make sense until we see a picture of the head that won't accept a 16mm earth.

The only way you will legally upgrade is get DNO to do it. Just put the 6mm into an earth block which I think you have already done and take your 16mm to this block.

Hi All,I am confused too!! The thing on the TNCS cutout is not the MET at all but the neutral block, that is why the neutral goes in it... A 16mm earthing conductor runs from here to your MET [A proprietory brass earth block that WILL have a big enough hole in the one end!!] and here you terminate all your bonding conductors and the CPC that leads to the earth bar in the CU..

Pictures please!!

john...
The thing is though, for many many years the DNO simply connected whatever the sparky left hanging directly to the head, that meant the MET was what ever was on the other end, normally the consumer unit. That does not meet the regs today for TNCS so what danijar is trying to do is correct except he should fit a new MET adjacent to the head, connect the existing 6mm to this along with all local bonding and earthing cables and a 16mm cable hanging out ready for the DNO to connect to the head.

if there are 2 small terminals can you split the 16mm between the two? does a 10mm fit, id change the 6mm if it does as a temp tho, nothing else you can do without the dno by the sounds of it.

A picture speaks a 1000 words mate, if you can get a pic on there might be a better idea from someone.

wayne

Latest posts