Megger & Fluke

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Evening all. I hope you are all well and keeping busy.

I know there are many forums on here regarding multifunctional testers.

I need to purchase another set of testers and am a bit unsure what to go for.

We currently use a Fluke, however sharing a tester on different jobs at the same time is not practical anymore!

I am interested in the new Megger, but the only thing that has put me off in the past is that they used to be supplied in a bag rather than a solid box like the Fluke.

Does anybody know if the latest Meggers have a more solid, robust carry case?

Cheers.

GS

I use a megger mft***** (cant remember the model) and mine is in a nice solid case. Very good tester. Although I'm sure there will be people on here that disagree.

I've got megger 1730

Black case fits in my van vault one hell of a load better than my previous fluke did

I prefer the merger

Only thing is the slow zs readings in comparison to the fluke

Having had the fluke for several years, it has been both reliable, sensible on batteries & doesn't hang around to get a test result. It has the odd moment when it spits a fuse out, but very happy with it & wouldn't look to replace her until she finally gives up.

However let it be said that if she develops a code 1 fault it may be a costly repair iro £260+Vat. The Megger I'm told by a reliable sponsor has a repair fee of £150+vat max by all accounts.

Does this mean Meggers are more likely to go wrong more often hence the cheaper repair costs? Or does it mean that the guts of a Megger are cheaper? Who knows? You decide!!

Apparently the difference in costs is due to the Fluke having to be sent to the factory (based abroad), whereas Megger is repairable here in the UK.

Having had the fluke for several years, it has been both reliable, sensible on batteries & doesn't hang around to get a test result. It has the odd moment when it spits a fuse out, but very happy with it & wouldn't look to replace her until she finally gives up.

However let it be said that if she develops a code 1 fault it may be a costly repair iro £260+Vat. The Megger I'm told by a reliable sponsor has a repair fee of £150+vat max by all accounts.

Does this mean Meggers are more likely to go wrong more often hence the cheaper repair costs? Or does it mean that the guts of a Megger are cheaper? Who knows? You decide!!

Apparently the difference in costs is due to the Fluke having to be sent to the factory (based abroad), whereas Megger is repairable here in the UK.
there is a fluke centre in  Norfolk, when we had issues with out fluke we sent it there to a contact point i had (this was prior to getting to know MM)  and the Instrument was repaired and calibrated there,  no requirements to send it abroad in any way!

it was a while ago, but i know they are still there, i contacted  Andy Eddy he is the Customer Support & Services Manager

Fluke

Fluke UK Ltd
52 Hurricane Way
Norwich
Norfolk, NR6 6JB
United Kingdom

+44 020 7942 0700

01603256620 <<< number for Repair Centre at Fluke in Norfolk!

Last edited by a moderator:
As said before after having a bad experience with a Megger and no support from Megger at all. I will not have another Megger out of principle. I have just purchased another Fluke 1652c from Megger Mark and just to say thank you very much Mark for doing me an excellent deal. The new Fluke seems great simple to use and even has phase rotation and a few other functions on it. I think my last Fluke was about Seven years old so I have had my monies worth out of it.