Re-training, with some past experience

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately you like many others are caught in a major balls-up that was never properly designed, or implemented following the introduction of Part-P building regs:

Don't know if this helps or not, but my understanding of the historic points of how we got to the current short course mess-up is as folows:-

1] Pre 2005 various electrical trades bodies we already in existence..

2] Numerous qualified and competent electricians were trading often without any optional trade-body membership, (mostly only requested for certain commercial non-domestic work).

3] As DIY electrical work was and still is legally permissible, numerous DIY, cowboy builder, rouge trader bodges etc.. had started to raise some concerns amongst out political leaders.

4] Making wiring regs statutory and electrical work illegal for non-qualified persons was far to expensive and time consuming.

5] Changing a few statutory building regs making some, (not all) electrical work notifiable to your LABC, with potential fines to the homeowner for un-notified work was easier to implement.

6] Introducing some new electrical competent persons scheme would allow electricians who joined to be able to notify their work on behalf of the customer.

7] The individual scheme providers (Napit / Niceic / Eca / Elecsa / Bsi / Stroma etc..) would have the responsibility to vet and inspect their members to ensure compliance with some minimum standards, (Qualifications/Documents/Insurance etc.)

8] As proven knowledge of the current wiring regs was a requirement, and there were vast numbers of electricians were initial qualified to earlier versions of BS7671, there was a large pool of people wanting to update qualifications with insufficient capacity on traditional college courses to deal with the added demand.

9] So various training providers introduced short update courses, for previously qualified electricians to become up to date with latest BS7671. (these were never intended to be complete training for a complete novice to re-train.)

10] Over the years the pool of older electricians were gradually processed and loads of training providers who had jumped on the band-waggon, had now got short courses but less new customers.. So courses were tweaked, adding a few extra non-essentials like PAT.. (PAT was a another money generating ball starting to roll).. And then re-promoted courses as "Change career, Learn from home, or local classroom" options.

11] Also once all the existing trading electricians had either joined or chosen not to join any domestic CPS, the various CPS bodies were also on the look out for new customers.. with either competition by price, or accepting some lesser qualified members, often with options for them to take additional qualifications via the CPS own in-house training packages!

12] As competition around the Part-P notification market intensified, some CPS providers stopped offering domestic electrical membership, some were merged with others, some training providers started calling electrical courses "Part P qualifications", and we got to the point where both training providers and CPS providers were all out there touting for new business. With stories of people using a couple of extra sockets at their grannies house as the example of their work and It became a common phrase that providing they could cash-your-cheque membership would follow!

13] As mentioned previously I believe that over the past 18months there has been some wrapping of knuckles telling the CPS's to be a bit more diligent in their selection, vetting and annual assessments! Only time will tell if this turns out to be a reality?

14] Basically there have been far to many fingers in the pie just cooking up a massive mess! e.g. when you compare to a single legal required body for undertaking Gas related work. https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about-us/what-is-gas-safe-register/
They should have just introduces one single legal register for anyone undertaking any domestic electrical work!!

You are at least asking the right questions and trying to follow the right direction.
🍺 (y)

Last edited:
Unfortunately you like many others are caught in a major balls-up that was never properly designed, or implemented following the introduction of Part-P building regs:

Don't know if this helps or not, but my understanding of the historic points of how we got to the current short course mess-up is as folows:-

1] Pre 2005 various electrical trades bodies we already in existence..

2] Numerous qualified and competent electricians were trading often without any optional trade-body membership, (mostly only requested for certain commercial non-domestic work).

3] As DIY electrical work was and still is legally permissible, numerous DIY, cowboy builder, rouge trader bodges etc.. had started to raise some concerns amongst out political leaders.

4] Making wiring regs statutory and electrical work illegal for non-qualified persons was far to expensive and time consuming.

5] Changing a few statutory building regs making some, (not all) electrical work notifiable to your LABC, with potential fines to the homeowner for un-notified work was easier to implement.

6] Introducing some new electrical competent persons scheme would allow electricians who joined to be able to notify their work on behalf of the customer.

7] The individual scheme providers (Napit / Niceic / Eca / Elecsa / Bsi / Stroma etc..) would have the responsibility to vet and inspect their members to ensure compliance with some minimum standards, (Qualifications/Documents/Insurance etc.)

8] As proven knowledge of the current wiring regs was a requirement, and there were vast numbers of electricians were initial qualified to earlier versions of BS7671, there was a large pool of people wanting to update qualifications with insufficient capacity on traditional college courses to deal with the added demand.

9] So various training providers introduced short update courses, for previously qualified electricians to become up to date with latest BS7671. (these were never intended to be complete training for a complete novice to re-train.)

10] Over the years the pool of older electricians were gradually processed and loads of training providers who had jumped on the band-waggon, had now got short courses but less new customers.. So courses were tweaked, adding a few extra non-essentials like PAT.. (PAT was a another money generating ball starting to roll).. And then re-promoted courses as "Change career, Learn from home, or local classroom" options.

11] Also once all the existing trading electricians had either joined or chosen not to join any domestic CPS, the various CPS bodies were also on the look out for new customers.. with either competition by price, or accepting some lesser qualified members, often with options for them to take additional qualifications via the CPS own in-house training packages!

12] As competition around the Part-P notification market intensified, some CPS providers stopped offering domestic electrical membership, some were merged with others, some training providers started calling electrical courses "Part P qualifications", and we got to the point where both training providers and CPS providers were all out there touting for new business. With stories of people using a couple of extra sockets at their grannies house as the example of their work and It became a common phrase that providing they could cash-your-cheque membership would follow!

13] As mentioned previously I believe that over the past 18months there has been some wrapping of knuckles telling the CPS's to be a bit more diligent in their selection, vetting and annual assessments! Only time will tell if this turns out to be a reality?

14] Basically there have been far to many fingers in the pie just cooking up a massive mess! e.g. when you compare to a single legal required body for undertaking Gas related work. https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about-us/what-is-gas-safe-register/
They should have just introduces one single legal register for anyone undertaking any domestic electrical work!!

You are at least asking the right questions and trying to follow the right direction.
🍺 (y)
That's an interesting series of events, and sad if that was/is the state of things.
I do think the idea of flexible training is a great idea, as there are plenty of people like me that wish they had done all this at college when they were 17.
I certainly make a better student now at 33 than I would back then, but (even if it all works out for me) I still think the current setup for training like I am now, is ridiculous, and poorly advertised.

I totally agree with the comparison to GasSafe, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get my head around the whole CPS scheme system for electrics.

I totally agree with the comparison to GasSafe, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get my head around the whole CPS scheme system for electrics.

The basic problem is that no one actually has to be a member of a CPS to undertake any domestic work at all...
Hence they are all trying to get you to pay money for an optional service...
Which should offer some enhanced benefits for your business over competitors who are not members..

Have you got a copy of Approved Document P, (available for free download)..

Page 10, bullet points 3.8 to 3.12 give the method for qualified persons who are not members of any CPS.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/441872/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

I have that doc but I haven't looked at it since the start of the course, and it was all non-sense back then, but thanks for pointing me to it cause that makes things a little more confusing...
Am I understanding correctly that notifying through a CPS, will be free (minus the obvious yearly subscription cost) and you can do it after a job is complete.
But without a CPS you pay a cost, which could be quite low if you are qualified up to the hilt, and notification has to be done before?

Is that the major differences?

As you say, having NAPIT, NICEIC, or the like, will look good on the van but not as essential as I first thought

I have that doc but I haven't looked at it since the start of the course, and it was all non-sense back then, but thanks for pointing me to it cause that makes things a little more confusing...
Am I understanding correctly that notifying through a CPS, will be free (minus the obvious yearly subscription cost) and you can do it after a job is complete.
But without a CPS you pay a cost, which could be quite low if you are qualified up to the hilt, and notification has to be done before?

Is that the major differences?

As you say, having NAPIT, NICEIC, or the like, will look good on the van but not as essential as I first thought

Here we have another can of worm.... Different councils have different charges for Part P related electrical work...!!!!

e.g. looks like Wiltshire council currently have a fixed rate of £516
https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/planning-building-control-fees

Whereas our local council have a variable scale from
£155 + vat for minor works
£250 + vat 1-4 circuits
£330 + vat 5-10 circuits
£445 + vat 11-16 circuits.

These are the "costs" for them to cover a.n.other testing your work on behalf of the council...
However I've also heard of some councils waiving or significantly reducing fees, if you can provide full electrical certificates and proof of your qualifications.
This is an area where you need to get to know the local building inspectors..

Either way its basically another pile of non-standardisation across the country!!

( Note: The CPS's annual fees don't normally cover any job notifications..
There are additional nominal charges per notification... But typically less than £5 per job.)

Jesus you lads go though some nonsense.

Thanks for all this extra information, I have put effort into looking for it but there is so much to look for (and lots of contradicting information)
that I never know what to think most of the time

Jesus you lads go though some nonsense.

Thanks for all this extra information, I have put effort into looking for it but there is so much to look for (and lots of contradicting information)
that I never know what to think most of the time

Part P was a half hearted effort and a complete mess-up from day 1, with loads of grey areas and non-standardisations around the UK..
Notifiable works are different in Wales from those in England!

Plus even now, loads of homeowners haven't got a clue about what should or shouldn't be done for building regs compliance that have been around for 18years! So you end up with some contractors jumping through loads of hoops and paying out all sorts of fee's, while other just ignore it!

Is it any wonder that training providers have a field-day making all sorts of claims about what you need or don't need!
As at the end of the day, all training could have some benefit for you.. Just maybe not enough for the direction you hope to progress in!

As at the end of the day, all training could have some benefit for you.. Just maybe not enough for the direction you hope to progress in!
This is my thinking the training is genuinely good and the tutor is very knowledgeable. So, knowledge wise I'm on the right path, but what good is that if I can't prove it at the end 🤷

This is my thinking the training is genuinely good and the tutor is very knowledgeable. So, knowledge wise I'm on the right path, but what good is that if I can't prove it at the end 🤷

In my employed life from late 1970's to late 1990's, (started self employment in 1999), there were numerous times when I had to attend various "In-House" training courses, sometimes provided by the companies own staff, others by third party providers...

At then end of it you had various forms of paper "certificates" to say you attended, which were useful for internal company promotion prospects...
but of little or no value whatsoever outside of the company, so wouldn't be a nice stepping stone assisting you to leave and move on to pastures new.

Some of your stuff almost sounds like these type of courses..?
i.e. company has a few fully qualified industry recognised staff,
who supervise teams of semi qualified workers who have attended a bespoke tailored course just for the areas of work required by the employer.

But not fully recognised externally so harder for staff to leave.

{ A classic was a one day driver awareness course that everyone with a company vehicle had to attend..
It was provided by a fully legitimate company who did actually do pukka training for the 'Advanced Driving Test'..
It was something to do with the company reducing its fleet insurance costs..
But completely unrecognised anywhere else! }

Last edited:
In my employed life from late 1970's to late 1990's, (started self employment in 1999), there were numerous times when I had to attend various "In-House" training courses, sometimes provided by the companies own staff, others by third party providers...

At then end of it you had various forms of paper "certificates" to say you attended, which were useful for internal company promotion prospects...
but of little or no value whatsoever outside of the company, so wouldn't be a nice stepping stone assisting you to leave and move on to pastures new.

Some of your stuff almost sounds like these type of courses..?
i.e. company has a few fully qualified industry recognised staff,
who supervise teams of semi qualified workers who have attended a bespoke tailored course just for the areas of work required by the employer.

But not fully recognised externally so harder for staff to leave.

{ A classic was a one day driver awareness course that everyone with a company vehicle had to attend..
It was provided by a fully legitimate company who did actually do pukka training for the 'Advanced Driving Test'..
It was something to do with the company reducing its fleet insurance costs..
But completely unrecognised anywhere else! }
I get this, at my current place we all have internal 'licenses' for some of the heavy machinery, and is the same, almost useless anywhere else

The companies have to do this for the paper trail to prove training had been given if an accident happens.