Reccomend me a CU please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob,

No offence taken.

All I am doing is working with a respected Forum Member towards a solution to a problem that many electricians would not dare to tackle.

Before anybody tells me the neutral bar label is wrong, I am working on that. The box is "work in progress"

I believe the MAIN SWITCH label asks that the total load on the board not exceed 100A, which happens to be the rating of the original switch.

A 125A will better handle high loads because of its superior rated contacts, which will minimise the heat generated at the switch.

Since the Main Switch is the one device that is handling the whole load, it makes sense to leave a space between it and the 50A RCBO.

SBS Dave

I'm liking what I see. Though I don't quite understand how the double L busbar works yet, perhaps a photo from another angle?

What I am wanting, and this seems to achieve, is something that won't melt with the 50A load. The uprated main switch, dual L busbar, two 2 screw neutral bars all seems to be right. I guess the only weak link will be the output terminals of the 50A rcbo, I will just have to trust the manufacturer on that one.

Re labels, perhaps "this space intentionally left blank"?

I tend to agree just a blank plate on the outside but perhaps a label inside? Or I will just note it on the EIC that the space was left for a reason. Not that the next electrician will ever see the EIC (it will have long been lost and he wouldn't ask for it anyway)

Electrical design methods

59543cff0b014_the20amazing20Karnak_zpsi9fxdbrf.jpg.4c8c4b3d1d55b5a1d92eecf98283af0f.jpg

I’ve never really done much domestic work but I’ve enjoyed this topic as it’s a bit different and provokes the old grey cells to get working.

An added bonus, it has been a good and amenable discussion throughout.

I’ve never really done much domestic work but I’ve enjoyed this topic as it’s a bit different and provokes the old grey cells to get working.

An added bonus, it has been a good and amenable discussion throughout.

No Essex here ;)

Just had a thought...

Maybe you could install a live cobra in there, looks well insulated, the 50a breakers should keep it nice and warm and a big hole in the back to let the food in.

Would also keep unwanted modifiers at bay.

:coat

I like @kerching idea for an outside label, then perhaps more detail inside, and the busbar fingers cut off, eliminates any possibility of use, maybe,,   

I'm a Marketing Man, I satisfy the customer's needs.

Dave said a space next to the Main Switch, so that's what I showed.

Others suggested labels, so that's what I did. The photos were to illustrate the labelled metal blank Only, not the final configuration.

If Dave wants the label to say  "F*CK OFF 5WW", that's what I would supply.

It is therefore with great trepidation that I show a photo of Dave's possible box, with double live busbars and 2 x Neutral bars with 2-screw terminals. 

SBS Dave

View attachment 7347
:slap

at the label suggestion 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave,

Don't worry about the 50A terminals.  They also do a 63A one in the range and they are all 10KA ssc.

I'll take a photo of the double Live Busbars and post it here.

SBS Dave 

Below is the final arrangement with the double busbars. You will see that the back busbar is bent backwards by 90 deg and the front one is straight.

They are both independently insulated. My first arrangement was with two straight busbars, sharing a common insulator, using a plastic strip I had.

However, I couldn't vouch for its provenance in terms of its fire retarding properties, so I chose the straight/bent approach with legitimate insulator.

Busbar #1.png

Busbar #2.png

Hi Tony,

I don't have a problem with that. At that stage, it's not my property anyway.

I realise that my previous label  "F*CK OFF 5WW", may not be universally understood, but the one below would be.

Dave, I realise that puts my chance of an order on the iffy list.

SBS Dave

Don't you be one too.jpg

Nice work Dave & Dave, like the bespoke approach, with one eye on good sound electrical practice, don't see much off that about now with everything mass produced usually as cheap as possible.  I prefer the over engineering approach for a couple of quid extra.

Makes for an interesting thread.