Spot lights turn on dim in bathroom and fan comes on when fan isolator is switched on but light switch is off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole lot wants disconnecting and for someone competent to carry out continuity tests then reconnect in a professional manner. While they are at it bin the extractor and get a new one from a reputable manufacturer.
The fan is litterally brand new

The fan is litterally brand new
Doesn't matter it is probably a piece of junk and certainly not something I would have in my home. As soon as you see the primary language on the packaging is Polish then alarm bells should be ringing.

This is the terminations in the fan

Attachments

• 16630767053927709415145540856182.jpg
    16630767053927709415145540856182.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
With the fan isolator on and the switch off the fan fires up, when I turn the switch off it cuts out, so the completely opposite in what I want jt to do lol

So fan isolator on and light switch off the fan kicks in?
That fan has a humidity control on it.

The lights work correctly using the switch but the fan wont fire up, when the lights are off and I turn the fan isolator on the lights turn on but become dim and then the fan kicks in.
To me it looks like a wiring fault , what happens when both switches(the fan and the light) are on?

Sounds like it could be either:
A wiring fault. (has the polarity actually been checked? not just the colours of the wires, But verify that live is being switched to the light and / fan trigger.)

or
a conflict between the electronics in the fan and the electronics in one (or more) of the lights. (you don't need much induced voltage to make LED's glow when they shouldn't)

or
fault on the fan's humidity control putting a voltage back up the manual trigger wire. (looks like the pot on the fan is currently set to trigger at a low humidity?)

or
Switched live and perm live arse-about-face.

or.. or.. or.. etc..
anyone's guess...

Without doing what has already been recommended earlier on:

"disconnect everything.. recheck, (dead test). all wiring..
verify all individual components work correctly independently of each other.. before attempting to reconnect to establish at what point it fails.."

You appear to be learning the hard way why 99% of half decent electricians would never supply and fit cheap brand fans, or supply and fit any light fittings with integral LED's that cannot have their lamps replaced without needing to replace the whole fitting.

Buying cheap tat on-line often works out more expensive in the long run....

I do not think the spark who fitted this allegedly, exists ! , even the old boy as the op called him would sleeve or tape neutral in correct colour .
You guys are 100% correct disconnect all and test and does that polish fan even have correct uk/eu standard to be installed here ? . Just a thought.

Is it possible the constant live and the switched live are crossed over in the fan? That may backfeed into the lights with some designs of fan timers.
Brown is the live terminal and black is in the timer terminal

I do not think the spark who fitted this allegedly, exists ! , even the old boy as the op called him would sleeve or tape neutral in correct colour .
You guys are 100% correct disconnect all and test and does that polish fan even have correct uk/eu standard to be installed here ? . Just a thought.
What do you mean allegedly??

Can't get hold of him which sounds about right lol
this is what you said I believe ? so therefore I can only assume either he doesn't exist or he is not registered or something similar but as I cannot know this from reading a forum post I used the word allegedly!.
Only you know the truth of this , is that OK as an explanation for you .

To me looking, at the photos, the cable at the wagos looks to be 1mm and at the fan 1.5, possibly not but does look that way to me so if there's another joint it could be crossed or not connected right there. Also to me you'd struggle to get them cables in the fan without damaging them, poor design. I'd check behind fan incase they've been extended there if old fan cables weren't long enough.