Spot lights turn on dim in bathroom and fan comes on when fan isolator is switched on but light switch is off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam12

Reaction score
When I turn my fan isolator on for my bathroom the 4 spotlights turn on but very dim and then the fan kicks in but my light switch is off!

I did and he was stumped, he seemed to think the wattage rating of the spot lights were something to do with it so he recommended I get 4 new ones at 4.5w which I haven't done yet

Won't let me post video but this is what the lights are looking like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-083612_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-083612_Gallery.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 0
Sounds like another case of inductive coupling in the wiring making led lamps glow. The 3 core to the fan will have a live core and switched live running adjacent. Maybe needs a snubber but I would have expected your spark to know about these.

He hasn't mentioned anything like that, what is a snubber and would I be able to install it?

It is to do with the spotlights in so far as they can start to operate at extremely low current, i.e. that induced into one wire from an adjacent live wire. (It's the same principle as a contactless tester, such as a voltstick.)
The fix, commonly referred to as a snubber, is to wire a capacitor across the affected lights. It must however be a special type designed to be across mains voltage without creating a hazard.
e.g. https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/xeb1201/filter-xeb1201b-fly-lead/dp/CA06044

Thankyou very much I appreciate that and you think that will be the problem solved?

The fan is supposed to run when the lights come on and then stays on for 2 mins then go off but it's only putting the lights on dim qhen the isolator is on and firing the fan up without me pressing the light switch

I’d suggest that your ‘spark’ isn’t as bright as they thought! It sounds as though they have wires crossed.
I’d suggest in the first instance calling them back, seeing as they aren’t answering we’re they registered with a scheme such as NICEIC, Napit, Stroma etc?

Yes, on reflection about the fan behaviour I agree with Sharpend.
You may get those symptoms if the switched and permanent live are crossed. Really should have been obvious to the installer though.

Latest posts