1000W Son Floodlight

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFD

Reaction score
Please can some one confirm what control gear is needed to get a 1000w son flood working, old control of ballast, 2x capacitors and ignitor badly damaged, do I need to replace like for like. if so any idea wher I can pick them up. 

As said Tridonic and Parmar supply gear for 1000w Son but try to avoid mixing and matching ( For instance a Parmar ignitor and a Tridonic ballast) as they are not always compatible.

Nothing wrong with a Parmar ballast and a Tridonic ignitor ive done it hundreds of times and vice versa ! Ive even used a Parmar ignitor with a Phillips ballast in place of an SN57/58.

It blows the lighting atendants minds when i put the fuse carrier back and the lamp strikes up they cant fathom it.

Ive worked on 2Kw lamps for floodlighting on an all weather sports pitch at a leisure centre think the ballast for them was wired accross two phases although cant be sure.

Ive worked on 2Kw lamps for floodlighting on an all weather sports pitch at a leisure centre think the ballast for them was wired accross two phases although cant be sure.
We've a running track and Hockey pithes here lit by 2000w Metal Halide lamps. 415V control gear with the ballast and capacitors in the base of the column and ignitor up in the head beside the lamp. 

Heres a couple of pics of us working on them -

Lowering column on hydraulic ram - 

IMGP0252.jpg

Working on heads - 

IMGP0253.jpg

2kW SON & Metal halide are available in both 415V cross phase versions and 240V single phase BUT they are different lamps and different gear - its not possible to use the single phase lamp with cross phase gear and vice-versa. All lamps are clearly marked to show which version they are.

Latest posts