17th compliant to sign off certs.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyd103

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to start by saying hello :) .

I have been working for an NICEIC reg. company for almost 20 years but they won't put me through my 17th edition due to the costs for every sparks employed with them.

I am currently only 15th edition compliant and work solo doing electrical work up and down the country.

My question is - am I still allowed by the NIC to sign off completion and minor work certificates.

My company thinks that I am as they are the ones that are registered and I get audited twice a year.

Thanks.

I take it you have kept up to date with the changes and have an up to date regs book, and you are not still installing to 15th? If so no worries.

And I know I'm not supposed to say this, but since you are north of the border you don't have any part P to worry about. :innocent :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
He just couldn't resist it could he ....... he just has to rub it in !!!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:32 ----------

Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to start by saying hello :) .I have been working for an NICEIC reg. company for almost 20 years but they won't put me through my 17th edition due to the costs for every sparks employed with them.

I am currently only 15th edition compliant and work solo doing electrical work up and down the country.

My question is - am I still allowed by the NIC to sign off completion and minor work certificates.

My company thinks that I am as they are the ones that are registered and I get audited twice a year.

Thanks.
It costs around

Thanks for the quick replies. It is the North of Scotland only but takes 5 hours to get to certain jobs.

I feel I am more than competent and up to speed to do my job, but the company offers courses in other divisions and I am looking for them to do the same for us sparks.

I do get audited by my supervisor twice a year who countersigns 3 random jobs but unless I pay for these courses myself, I would never have the opportunity to move on.

Thanks again. I know my options now.

Hi Andy, It is understandable that when you have spent time keeping up with the regs, that having a qualification as evidence is the professional thing to do.

It is a sad that there are NICEIC Approved Contractors that do not support their employees in this way and take advantage of the weak safety compliance that is encouraged by the NICEIC.

Just countersigning three jobs a year is is surely a safety risk to the public, even ELECSA have been reported to require 10% of their operatives work to be Countersigned/Checked.

The HM Coroner in the recent electrocution case has stated, it is the person that inspects, tests and completes the certificate that is responsible when it goes wrong, not the QS that just checks the certificate for spelling mistakes/non ticked boxes.

So you can see why companies are casual about their responsibilities, I am alright jack.

What is the most worrying aspect, is the total silence on the issue, The Industry is still reluctant to clean its act up, is that a due to money?

I would guess that very few firms can afford to pay for their employees to do 17th edition TBH . Much the same with the 16th .

In my earlier incarnation we had 10 sparks and 2 apprentti plus us two would have cost

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the 17th using your own money and claim the course back against tax relief, as if ever you leave the company any new company you go to will expect you have 17th edition course as a minimum.

I'm looking at this from a different angle now ....Senario....10 sparks working for a PITA employer (as I did A few times) ....... a new edition of the Regs comes into force ........so 10 Sparks ,like good little boys, shell out out

I'm looking at this from a different angle now ....Senario....10 sparks working for a PITA employer (as I did A few times) ....... a new edition of the Regs comes into force ........so 10 Sparks ,like good little boys, shell out out