17th edition multi function test equipment advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed69

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some advice, I purchased a MFT 1730 all singing all dancing Megger about 5 months ago... Today I have got so dismayed as the readings are terribly out and the tripping of rcbo's is far too regular that I called Megger and told them of my problems... To be fair they were superb, the guy told me they were currently working with switchgear manufacturers to try to solve this problem and the results been all over the place had also been brought to their attention... They asked me what I wanted to do to which my reply was "box it up and send it back and get my

Fluke 16xx series for me!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:17 ----------

Oh, and try the forum sponsor MeggerMark for a meter, he'll do you a blinder of a deal I'm sure!

There's been no end of reports about how bad the new Meggers are.

If you've spent that much get a fluke 1653/4

Please have a look here at a post i put up a while ago, i think it's a very good deal for a good tester.

I found out today about the very same thing. I have a 1730 and it went back for repair (broken off switch - could not switch it off) which they repaired ok. But on using it again I found that they had upgraded the software so that you can select 'HI' or 'LO' on Loop test without having to swap the leads around each time. This did throw up a few 'backward' steps! I now have to press the test button instead of it doing an 'auto' test like the 1500 series do (and my 1730 before the repair) I also had great problems testing RCBO's today and called Megger to see if the software had caused a problem. They said that because it does 'two wire' testing it cannot detect the Neutral lead so it becomes redundant. Also to get around the RCBO's tripping I have to swap the RED & GREEN leads around in the back ... how crazy is that! They said that you cannot confirm polarity unless you do R1+R2 test. So I asked how I can test for Polarity on an incoming supply and they said "they know it is a problem"

I am in a quandary as to what I should do. I like the Megger but don't want to be a guinea pig for their field testing problems...

Come on Megger let's get it sorted so that we can get on with our work!!!

Pondering what to do. Anyone else had this same issue?

We've had the same probs with our mft 1730, the zs readings are way way off and we have had to go back to using the 1552 for the live tests. Spoken to megger and they've admitted there is a problem but don't have an answer. After reading this I think I'll try and get a refund as well !!

Glad its not just me that got a duff Megger as I have said a few times before I have a CM500 which cannot do an accurate low current loop test. It surprises me that a big company like Megger can not get this sorted. I have a Fluke 1652 which granted has broken down a few times but overall it always gives a constant low current loop test and never once has tripped an RCBO unless its on RCD test. I think I would only ever buy a Fluke again.

Glad its not just me that got a duff Megger as I have said a few times before I have a CM500 which cannot do an accurate low current loop test. It surprises me that a big company like Megger can not get this sorted. I have a Fluke 1652 which granted has broken down a few times but overall it always gives a constant low current loop test and never once has tripped an RCBO unless its on RCD test. I think I would only ever buy a Fluke again.
Batts, I am looking at the fluke 1653b or 1654b , had a price of

I have 1652 which works OK have a word with Megger Mark he will advise as what is best for you and give you a good deal on one.

My work partner has 1652b, FYI check the firmware... Hold f1 turn on and release f1 as soon as display appears.. If it says 2.15 on main and 2.24 on bottom then it's 2 versions behind and causing problems... Readings far higher than expected... Just a heads up for you ....fluke say make sure you get calibrated with them cos you get all firm ware auto updated at same time, may cost a few quid more but hey.."

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:07 ----------

I think I'm gonna plump for 1653b......

My work partner has 1652b, FYI check the firmware... Hold f1 turn on and release f1 as soon as display appears.. If it says 2.15 on main and 2.24 on bottom then it's 2 versions behind and causing problems... Readings far higher than expected... Just a heads up for you ....fluke say make sure you get calibrated with them cos you get all firm ware auto updated at same time, may cost a few quid more but hey.."---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:07 ----------

I think I'm gonna plump for 1653b......
Really good point re the firmware, you can always phone Fluke to check the latest version and check it on your machine and use them for cal if its outdated.

Do be carefull when holding down and pushing function buttons, hold down in the wrong sequence and you cange change all manner of functionality.

Always happy to help on price if i can.

Fluke 16xx series for me!---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:17 ----------

Oh, and try the forum sponsor MeggerMark for a meter, he'll do you a blinder of a deal I'm sure!
Meggermark how much could you do me a fluke 1653b then???

shed,

Go for the 4 you KNOW you want it! ;)

Does d.c. sensitive RCD's which will come in with (some) solar, ready for when you are PIR'ing installs with these fitted to solar, or in case you get a few solar installs?

shed,Go for the 4 you KNOW you want it! ;)

Does d.c. sensitive RCD's which will come in with (some) solar, ready for when you are PIR'ing installs with these fitted to solar, or in case you get a few solar installs?
Mmmmm not sure about the 1654b as to whether it's worth the extra..... Meggermark has given me a good price on 1653b and I've just asked about the 1654b as well so I suppose I'll await his reply.... I'm guessing you have the 1654b????

By the way I'm in south Wales - Caerphilly , whereabouts are you??

No mate I have the 1653b, got it from MM at a blinding offer, JUST before the 1654 was released!!! headbang

If it had been out I would have got it end of.

I have a tonne of Fluke kit well almost, was brought up on it, there is some other kit out there to match it but, you have to be careful in identifying it.

IMHO.

The ONLY thing that I think Megger do better is Analogue multi-meters, and they have stopped making those now!

Read AVO 8/9, and they bought AVO!

Mind I have had a few good dedicated insulation resistance testers from Megger, that they no longer make and I did have a good LCR meter, but they have stopped making that now!

Seems to me that Megger USED to make excellent kit, but...?

Oh, I'm a bit further South West than you by the way.

Further away from you then than Admin, KME & Jono Pashley.

However, NOT that far, I was asked to teach at a training place in Merthyr the other day, & often work in Cardiff, Newport, & north of there.

However, if you look back at my posts you'll see that I'm not a "normal" spark!

Tomorrow's job on site at 08:00 to pick up the main press shaft of a tablet press (as in tablet, or pill) from a company that makes vitamin supplements and try to get a through hardened bolt out of the end as it has sheared off inside the shaft!

Was there today sorting an electrical controls issue on the machine with the safety circuits, which I did, then they powered it up and broke the press shaft!

Shed, can do you a little used, checked, and hardly used since last calibration 1653 at a good price, from now on see Canoeboy's post!... :) O) ]:)

However, substitute 1653 for 1652!

Latest posts