2-way Light Switch Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipxstream

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A (7-day belated) Happy New Year to you all.

We recently moved into a new house, and I have a question about how the 2-way light switches in my garage are wired up:

The first switch has the permanent live coming in, and the 3-core+CPC cable between the two switches.

The second switch receives the other end of the 3-core+CPC, and has a cable to the actual light fitting.

My question is why would the person who wired this up not add the cable for the light at the first switch - there's no obstruction or anything (that I can see) to stop a cable going to the light from the first switch? It makes no sense to me, but then again I'm not a sparky, so maybe there's a logical reason that I'm unable to understand just yet?

Anyway, all of my lights have the neutral at the switches (2-plate method) if that makes any difference

Thanks chaps.

It can sometimes reduce the length of cable, e.g if the supply is nearest to the first switch and the light is nearest to the second.

It can also cause confusion as it is a much less common way to wire 2 way lighting.

Thanks Dave,

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind about the length of the cable, but it's probably using a foot more cable take it from the second switch.

I'm strongly thinking of taking out the cable to the light from the second switch and moving it to the first switch, as it'll make wiring up a SONOFF mini easier for me.

Hi everyone,

A (7-day belated) Happy New Year to you all.

We recently moved into a new house, and I have a question about how the 2-way light switches in my garage are wired up:

The first switch has the permanent live coming in, and the 3-core+CPC cable between the two switches.

The second switch receives the other end of the 3-core+CPC, and has a cable to the actual light fitting.

My question is why would the person who wired this up not add the cable for the light at the first switch - there's no obstruction or anything (that I can see) to stop a cable going to the light from the first switch? It makes no sense to me, but then again I'm not a sparky, so maybe there's a logical reason that I'm unable to understand just yet?

Anyway, all of my lights have the neutral at the switches (2-plate method) if that makes any difference

Thanks chaps.
who says the guy that did it knew what he was doing in the first place?

who says the guy that did it knew what he was doing in the first place?
Yep, that is also a very strong possibility.

I'm not a sparky, but I must admit that it really annoys the crap out me to see all of the neutrals stuffed into a single choc block connector and all of the earths sleeved within a single sheath. ☺️

I guess the first ever owner of the house (we're the third) may have been pretty old then, because these houses were only built in 2005.

This now leaves me the task of moving the cable for the light to the other switch. That way I'll have the permanent live, and the cable for the light in a single place for me to add in my SONOFF mini smart module to. If I left it as it is, I think I'd probably struggle at making all of the connections.