Struggling with re-wiring my garage lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreF

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Pierre and I live near Bicester in the UK. I'm not an electrician but I studied electricity in France more than 20 years ago. I feel confident enough to do electricity jobs, but I'm struggling to understand wirings.

In my garage, there are 2 switches for a flood light and the garage neon lights. I'd like to get rid of the 2 way (it's useless as the garage is small), and replace the mechanical 2 way switch for a one way smart switch that works with HomeKit (apple).
I don't want to bother you with a long message, as English isn't my first language, so I'm adding some pictures/drawings that should make sense.

I'm happy to answer questions, or take photos of the devices, if necessary. I'd be very grateful if someone knowledgeable could tell me how to re-wire the switches.
Many Thanks

pierre

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 0
  • current set up.png
    current set up.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
  • desired set up.png
    desired set up.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
Referring to your wiring drawing: The right hand 3 core of the double switch is the cable to the single switch, forming the two way circuit.
If you don't want two way switching you can just remove the single switch and that cable. Move the live strap link to the common, and your double switch is now just two simple on/off switches.
The centre 3 core is supplying power down the red core, The blue core is neutral and the yellow is the switched live to the garage light.

If you want to use the old single switch to control the garage light, then connect the red core of the old two way cable to the red core which is supply and the yellow core to the yellow core which goes to the garage light. Insulate and stow the unwanted blue core.

Last edited:
Hi Geoff
thanks very much for your super quick answer. I feel like I’m making progress. Could you please take a look at my wiring drawing and let me know whether I’m correct or not?
i am only keeping the single switch for garage lights so I’ve wired as you explained in your last paragraph. I’ve also added the wiring to the new smart switch (Flood light )

please let me know when you have a moment.
many thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 1
not quite right,
the old 2 ay switch is correct,
at the smart switch join the blue and black in the "N" terminal then but the reds on the right in a block into the "L" ( permeant live ) and the red in L over into L1 (switched live)

Success !
Thanks very Geoff for your patience, and thank you Poni for your update. I did follow your instructions and it's working perfectly.
And yes in my previous drawing, the flood lights new not connected to the live core...
Many thanks both !