2391 practical

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I am thinking of doing 2392 1st, I have no real testing experience, and least then I can start taking on some jobs that I am comfortable doing, gain experience as I go, then do my 2391 after.

Only downside to this plan is in my area it seems very hard to get on a 2392, but I could travel for a few days to near London and do it....

2392 from what I read here and other places seems fine and will let me work on single phase and register as a domestic installer under part p which has got to be all good... well in theory!

Can't believe it. just had a phone call from Connaughts and they have put off my practical - again, was supposed to be on 5th Nov. trouble was its getting further and furter away from the actual course content which isnt good....

Now doing practical on 12th Nov. This is a pain cos it was going to be on the 5th and I would have already been there 2-4 th on the 2391-20 course. Now I have to make a special trip. So its Thursday next week to Rotherham for 2391 theory, Then there again 2-4th Nov, then Bracknell on Monday 9th, Rotherham again on 12th for 2391 practical, then again on 19-20th and finally 8th Dec Rotherham again for 2391-20 exam..... so 5 trips to Rotherham and 1 to Bracknell.... good job my cars cheap to run!

Tom79Yes!!!!! at the moment, very hard to study.........

how about yours????
a few bits to learn! i got all the books so I am working my way through them, still not sure if I should do 2391 or 2392, I would like to do a bit of a course testing and I think only the 2392 offer this so I might start there. Pain how far I need to go to do it but might be better in the long run.

That said if I study enought I should be ok...

How you getting on? you signed to a course yet?

Hi, took my 2391 a couple of months ago have to agree with other posters in that what they seemed to be mainly looking for you to have the safe isolation procedures spot on and the tests on the rig were fairly straight forward, just take your time with it if you are confident with the theory aspect the practical test should be sound.

I'm doing it from the 30th Nov till the 4th Dec after i've done it would i be ok to do some testing while i'm waiting for my results only i'm supposed to being going on a MOD base on the following monday for a few weeks to do some earth bonding and testing.

Thanks

I have an idea in my head on the order of tests etc. Just a couple of things that I'm unsure of. IR tests - do you link all the live conductors at the incomer and test with all MCBs on? If theres an RCD does than mean 250V test V? when doing ELI/ PSC tests do you disconnect the earth? lots of questions I know but would like to know.

Thanks

I have an idea in my head on the order of tests etc. Just a couple of things that I'm unsure of. IR tests - do you link all the live conductors at the incomer and test with all MCBs on?

No you just bunch test them at the incoming tails

If theres an RCD does than mean 250V test V?

No on your RCD are totally different

When doing ELI/ PSC tests do you disconnect the earth?

The main incoming earth yes.

lots of questions I know but would like to know.

Thanks

AndyGuinness

Firstly congrats on passing!! :^O

I have my practical coming up on the 2nd dec, and have a few questions and was hoping to pick your brains, I am doing the exam from a distance learning course so will not get much time in for practice at the college, i think its only half a day.

Anyway the main question i have are:

What was the set up?

What test do you have to carry out on the motor? (have not much experience with them)

Does the assessor put you in a scenario for the test?

Any other bits that you think might help would be great too.

Hope you do mind me asking for this.

Hi there

Set up is that the first test is a small board with a DB and a few circuits on it. you have 30 mins to find the 12 faults. these are simple things like too much insulation stripped back, wrong polarity on FCU and no RCD in the DB. less obvious ones are there too and you will have to think it through. It wouldnt be fair to list all the faults I found on here but check everything!

Next its another DB with circuits attached and you will have to find 2 faults with IR tester.

Then you will check ELI on 2 sockets and work out wether the readings are satisfactory or not. (0.8 rule of thumb and all that)

And then the biggie - you will be given the scenario and its basically the same as the big rig you would have trained on. You will be doing a PIR on it. You will have a motor starter with a socket outlet being fed from it. make sure you check both sides - starter and socket.

Best of luck. Keep your cool and take your time esp with the paperwork!