3 phase equipment in order.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really need to get your electrician involved now, he can make the necessary judgment call on existing and new supplies and earth arrangements and if you are lucky or have a very good relationship then he may give you a list of materials to purchase?

There is more to this electrickery stuff than just connecting up so it works only the layman doesn’t realise this until it’s too late.

Of course you can just put an isolator in but your electrician needs to understand the consequences of two DNO supplies in the same property.

You really need to get your electrician involved now, he can make the necessary judgment call on existing and new supplies and earth arrangements and if you are lucky or have a very good relationship then he may give you a list of materials to purchase?

There is more to this electrickery stuff than just connecting up so it works only the layman doesn’t realise this until it’s too late.
In this case the layman does understand, it’s why I’m asking!

Of course you can just put an isolator in but your electrician needs to understand the consequences of two DNO supplies in the same property.
Yes I understand that. It’s more a case of not having the connection team turn up and say they can’t install a meter as there is nowt to connect it to. I want everything done correctly and by the book but people are busy and I’m at sea so that’s why I want the minimum stuff I need for connection and meter installation ready for the people who fit the meter. After that I can get other issues sorted as and when people are available and I’m at home.

Ask if they will put in an isolator but they may want you to provide it.

If the garage and house are separate with no electrical connection between them then surely the earthing does not matter.

It's only like the dno turning your neighbours supply into a pme while yours stays tns. They don't tell you it's been changed.

As long as everything in the garage is fed from the garage and the house from the house then that's ok.

Or is it me just over simplifying things ???

It will require main protective bonding I assume which effectively joins them, any loss of the DNO renders the main protective bonds as the link. This is the reason DNOs often won't supply an earth where multiple supplies are in the same metal structured buildings.

Ok, been there done it, yes, i have TWO separate supplies to the same property, one a single phase TNS and the other, a three phase TNCS

All you need to provide is;

1, The REC4 isolator that Sharpend recommended. [I doubt they would connect to any other sort]

2, An earth block..

You will need to have a 16mm earth cable coming from the earth block and you will need 25 mm tails coming from the REC4, THE METER PEOPLE WILL NOT FIT THESE for you...

The talis need to be the proper colours too, so a brown [for L1], a black [for L2], and a grey [for L3]..

If you install the tails yourself, you need to trim them so the grey outer sheath pokes up into the little recess at the bottom of the isolator. If they can see any of the coloured bit inside [the insulation proper] they might get all snotty and refuse to connect it.. Obviously if the can see any copper they will DEFINITELY not connect it!!

They will turn up and simply install the meter and that will be that..

The meter moron MIGHT try to not connect it and say he needs a proper installation and and the cert for the installation.

This is all bollocks, OFGEM state, [i will find it if needed] that if all that is installed is an isolator, then they MUST connect to this..

Do not bother the DNO anymore, they have done their bit. You now just contact yor chosen supplier, [you will already have one or the DNO would not have installed the supply] give them the supply number or MPAN the DNO gave you, they will tell you when they can come and do it, and they will turn up on the allotted day and fit it.

job done..

john..

Ok, been there done it, yes, i have TWO separate supplies to the same property, one a single phase TNS and the other, a three phase TNCS

All you need to provide is;

1, The REC4 isolator that Sharpend recommended. [I doubt they would connect to any other sort]

2, An earth block..

You will need to have a 16mm earth cable coming from the earth block and you will need 25 mm tails coming from the REC4, THE METER PEOPLE WILL NOT FIT THESE for you...

The talis need to be the proper colours too, so a brown [for L1], a black [for L2], and a grey [for L3]..

If you install the tails yourself, you need to trim them so the grey outer sheath pokes up into the little recess at the bottom of the isolator. If they can see any of the coloured bit inside [the insulation proper] they might get all snotty and refuse to connect it.. Obviously if the can see any copper they will DEFINITELY not connect it!!

They will turn up and simply install the meter and that will be that..

The meter moron MIGHT try to not connect it and say he needs a proper installation and and the cert for the installation.

This is all bollocks, OFGEM state, [i will find it if needed] that if all that is installed is an isolator, then they MUST connect to this..

Do not bother the DNO anymore, they have done their bit. You now just contact yor chosen supplier, [you will already have one or the DNO would not have installed the supply] give them the supply number or MPAN the DNO gave you, they will tell you when they can come and do it, and they will turn up on the allotted day and fit it.

job done..

john..
Thanks John,

Gives me hope I’m not asking to much!

Thanks John,

Gives me hope I’m not asking to much!
And there you go, just to show that i am not full of shit, here is my second supply!!

I made the metal meter box thingy it is in [as there is/was nowhere else to mount the DNO meter box]

Instead of a REC 4, i used an MCCB to provide the isolation [and also over current protection] as the tails to the DB are more then 3 metres long

Never mind all the stuff you hear about "you must not mount your own equipment in their meter box" they connected it up no problem at all..

Notice how it is "their" meter box.... Ring up the nest day and say the door is broken. All of a sudden it is YOUR meter box..

They cannot have it both ways..

Hope this given you even more hope!!!

You have done the worst.. Trust me on meter day they will just want to throw the meter in and clear off as fast as they can. They will not be any trouble at all, so relax!!!!

john..

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    904.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts