LED lights and transformer..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJay

Reaction score
We ordered four led strips that are connected in series to a transformer but when the kit arrived, the connection between strip 2 and 3 had severed at strip 2, very close to the plastic, so its not re-attachable.
Sadly a replacement is not available until the end of August so I was wondering if it would be possible to attach strip 3 and 4 to the transformer in parallel to strip 1 and 2 to get it working again. If so, would it cause any long-term damage?

I've attached a pic of the transformer - not sure if it's needed!
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
You really need to check the current into a strip to work out if the PSU has enough capacity to cope with it all. That said, this type of PSU are usually protected against over current / over temperature, I'd just try it if you dont have the equipment to check the current of a strip, I doubt it will do any harm.

For a start that is not a transformer, it is an LED power supply, completely different.

If your LED strips are really meant to be in series each is meant to have 6 volts and connecting them in parallel at 24 volts could kill them. Don’t do it.

If you don’t want to wait for a replacement best to return the whole lot and get something else.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to find some replacements rather than risk blowing them up!

For a start that is not a transformer, it is an LED power supply, completely different.

If your LED strips are really meant to be in series each is meant to have 6 volts and connecting them in parallel at 24 volts could kill them. Don’t do it.

If you don’t want to wait for a replacement best to return the whole lot and get something else.
Thinking about this again they may not be in series (you would not be the first to use wrong terminology) but in parallel connected end to end. If this is the case doing what you suggest would work.

The output from power supply has a mini rubberised 2 pin connector that fits into a corresponding female connector on led 1 which then has a male connector at the other end that fits into the female connector on led 2 etc etc. I assumed that this was in series.

The output from power supply has a mini rubberised 2 pin connector that fits into a corresponding female connector on led 1 which then has a male connector at the other end that fits into the female connector on led 2 etc etc. I assumed that this was in series.
The power tracks on led strip run straight through from one end to the other. The only problems with connecting more than intended (lets say in a chain to avoid ambiguity) are that there will be volt drop along the length so the most remote leds may be noticeably dimmer, and of course you could eventually overload the tracks on the earliest sections, or even the supply unit, though 100watts is a LOT of leds..

The power tracks on led strip run straight through from one end to the other. The only problems with connecting more than intended (lets say in a chain to avoid ambiguity) are that there will be volt drop along the length so the most remote leds may be noticeably dimmer, and of course you could eventually overload the tracks on the earliest sections, or even the supply unit, though 100watts is a LOT of leds..
The fact that the strip runs at 24v would indicate the LED's themselves are 10 to 30v with a built in regulator, that would give zero difference in brightness along the length.

No, you need to read up on series and parallel. Your strips are in parallel in a chain.

Hi again folks. The adventure continues!
As it's been the first non raining day for ages, I decided to get on with connecting these LEDs up but I ran into some strange (to me) issues. Ive attached a basic diagram to see if any of you knowledgeable chaps can suggest anything.
led-problem.jpg
When the PSU (power plug) is connected to LED 1 and 2, Both LEDs work. (A)

Because the wire from LED2 was cut in transit, I removed the connector from LED3, exposing 2 wires (red & blue) so I could connect it to the PSU directly to these wires. (B)
The strange thing was that when I do this, only LED3 works but when I reverse the polarity (ie switched the bare wires around when connecting to the plug) only LED4 works!
I just can't get both LED3 and LED4 to work at the same time!

LED 1&2 are connected using the connectors in the pic above - one male and one female. Same with LED 3&4. LED4 has a connector but its not connected to anything.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Ok, all done. I just cut the little plastic that stopped the cable from being reversed between 3 and 4 and just wired everything in as planned. Looks like someone in the factory reversed the internal wiring accidentally!
Many thanks guys for all the help - everything works perfectly now!

Ok, all done. I just cut the little plastic that stopped the cable from being reversed between 3 and 4 and just wired everything in as planned. Looks like someone in the factory reversed the internal wiring accidentally!
Many thanks guys for all the help - everything works perfectly now!
Good stuff, thanks for updating us.

Latest posts