3 Pole Fan Isolator C/w Fuse.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an extension to a recent thread by a DIYer  I think this is worth throwing out for comment .

To answer the call to seperately fuse timer fans various makers have produced a 3 pole switch c/w a fuse .

I have not seen or used them as yet  but would state that confusion may reign . 

I would suggest that the lighting feed for that room MUST be routed via the fuse ,  the light & fan would be dead if fuse blows.

Light & fan should be treated as a single unit  ....for isolation purposes.

Any other configuration could be dangerous .

I've lost count of the number of DP switched spurs which switch L &N  to the fan but leave the SL live  ( if light is on) 

Any comments would be welcome .

Like others, not seen one yet. I'll get one on my next order.

The only way I can see them working, is for the fuse to be completely independent to the 3 pole switch, so you can use the fuse to feed the supply to the light switch and hence fuse the light as well.  Any other configuration will only fuse the permanent L or switched L, not both.

Personally I don't get wound up with the need to fuse the feed to a fan, but that's just me. 

Ive used them a couple of times when spec'd,

wire light as normal [except sw], then 3c to fan isolator, and 2c from isolator to sw, 3c from isolator to fan.

I forget a lot of the crap  stuff thats thrown at us lately  TBH (  I have other concerns and view most of these committee based revolutionary alterations to the Regs or wonderous new ways to notify jobs  etc  with a very jaundiced eye these  days )  .........but I do remember reading  recomendations for fusing timed fans and not relying on the lighting MCB for protection . 

Does anyone actually read the instructions with a particular fan? I rarely do. As long as the terminals are clearly marked, there's no need to.

you will be telling me you read the instructions that come with a light switch next.

Latest posts