40 year old Landrover as a "van" am I mad?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As you may know I currently use my Subaru Forrester as a van for my work.

"must have" features for me include 4 wheel drive which is why just about every normal van is not even worthy of consideration.

Now I've owned a Landrover in the past, an old 1960's Series 2A ex military LWB one so I know how slow, uncomfortable, noisy and thirsty they are.

But where I was working this week the guy has a series 3 early 1970's (one of the first S3's) short wheel base landy for sale at what I think is a bargain price (a bit more research needed to confirm it is a bargain)

What attracts me to this is the vehicle has been completely rebuilt on a new galvanised chassis.

So for not a lot of money, you get a virtually indestructable vehicle that's not going to rust out on you, it's old enough to get free road tax and cheap to insure. The mechanics and electrics are basic, no high tech engine management stuff to bother you, and an engine and drive train that any mechanic, probably even me, can work on.

The obvious downsides are it's thirsty, so your tax and insurance savings will be spent on higher fuel cost.

But at the price I can get this one, it will probably never depreciate, and might even appreciate (the first Landy I had remains the only vehicle I ever sold for more than I bought it, after 2 years use)

Obvious "problems" as an electricians van, the roof of a shortie LR might not give much spacing for ladder bars so I might need a full length roof rack to carry my 4.5 metre ladders, and even humble 3 metre lengths of trunking / conduit would have to travel (in a tube) on the roof.

Can anyone convince me this is a good idea, or convince me to walk away.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good idea.

I've had many vans over the years and a lot of my work is on farms, so after getting stuck a couple of times I decided 6 years ago to get a Nissan Terrano SWB van. At first I did not think it would work, but then I started carrying only the stuff I needed, the roof bars took my steps and whenever needed my 4.3M ladders, also roof tube for conduit and trunking.

Had a tow bar fitted and a trailer for when I needed to use the tower.

Well after 5 years of good use, never getting stuck and no major problems I decided to trade it in for a Pathfinder crew cab van LWB.

With the pathfinder I have no need for roof tube as conduit and trunking and short steps fit inside, roof bars take the ladder and tall steps no problem.

I would never go back to a normal van, and like the comfort of the pathfinder, I also use it for my hobby of metal detecting.

Hi ProDave,

I like the idea of the landrover, the galvanised chassis is a huge advantage too, but i have seen other bits corrode too, but a good squirting with wd 40 or waxoyl and as you say, it would be more or less indestructible.

The transmission on these things is far from indestructable though, and the ball joint assembly things on the front are a pain. Have a drive of it first mind, as i have seen some with the worst steering shake you could imagine!!!

The only downside i can think of is the rough ride, [oil the leaf springs should make it better] and the fuel consumption.

If you can afford the fuel, go for it.....

Think of it like this; At one stage, landy fans paid RIDICULOUS money for these things, so, i cannot see you losing out. If you get sick of the thing, i think you will always get you money back, if not more. They did seem to be turning into a bit of a collectors item at one time, but i think the cost of fuel has killed that right off....

I do not know....have a look at the prices they fetch on ebay first, then have a think, and go for it...I can not see you losing out that much no matter what happens, it has to be worth a try i suppose!!

john....

Yes Dave, you are mad, but thats got nothing to do with the landy,

Apart from the fuel issue I think its prob a good idea for your countryside up there.

I am a fan of landy's and hope to own a 110 in the future, but would chose a different motor to sit and eat my butty in on a cold Scottish January lunch break!

Friend of mine used his old Landry as his van for about a year, he then got shot of it due to astronomic fuel consumption and a top speed of 50! travelling to jobs meant longer days and at 50mph the road/wind noise was horrendous giving him headaches( more likely from fuel vapour getting into the cab!)he reckons it was a long draughty cold miserable winter

I have my van but also have a LR Discovery 1 300TDi with lift kit and oversized wheels. We are rural out here too (not as barren as Scotland) and as soon as the snow comes it becomes my work vehicle as it can go nearly anywhere. If your work takes you off the beaten track regularly then I would say go for it!

Door locking can be a bit insecure for storing any tools in if any light fingered sods walk past and take a liking to your hammer drill or meter!?

:(

Dave , main thing is , do you actually drive off-road through slippery mud to jobs. Do you have to drive in mad Scottish 30ft snow drifts over the banks and braes and up steep Bens and through 1/2 mile deep Lochs.

If the answer is yes then you need a landy .

As opposed to some round here in the city, some sparks,some builders who feel the need to also drive Landys and /or posey pick-ups that you can't leave anything in the rear open bit .

As you rightly say, they are very thirsty and that needs addressing these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Door locking can be a bit insecure for storing any tools in if any light fingered sods walk past and take a liking to your hammer drill or meter!? :(
That aspect would be dealt with by fitting a blulkhead between the cab and the back and a decent lock on the back door.

Go for it Dave, you know you want to, and TBH if I could I would too!

I LOVE old Landies!

I would have one tomorrow if I could afford/justify it.

I hate the things my brother had an old one that I rewired, spent thousands on it but never finished it and sold it. I am just glad I live down south so don't get much snow. Are the diesel ones more economical?

Go for it Dave, work vehicle, hobby and appreciating asset in one! I love them and would have one if I could. Had a Disco 300TDi but was a bit posh for yomping through mud. If its a petrol one though I would be wary.....

Go for it Dave, work vehicle, hobby and appreciating asset in one! I love them and would have one if I could. Had a Disco 300TDi but was a bit posh for yomping through mud. If its a petrol one though I would be wary.....
Why be wary of petrol?

Is that just the high fuel consumption, or are there other issues?

I'm planning to go and look at it and take it for a drive next week some time. But I'm finding more questions than answers.

For instance, he says's it's 1970, which ties with the H registration plate, yet it has a series 3 interior, but the S3's were not made until at least 1971. So it may have been "upgraded" which as a collectors vehicle makes it less attractive.

Also he says it has a galvamised chassis, but it's all painted in waxoyl. Pointless for a galvanised chassis. So I need to scrape a little of that off to confirm it really is a galvanised chassis, not plain steel.

And I've had a good chat with my BIL who restores old vehicles and he's told me all the bits to look at.

Oh and most of all Dave, be prepared to spend a lot of time tinkering! LandRovers always, always have something that pops up and requires attention when you least expect it. They need constant TLC.