40 year old Landrover as a "van" am I mad?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever looked at the ex-power co. ones?Nice secure van compartment, and a dirty great generator to boot!

Land Rover Defenders quality used land rovers for sale
I'm not made of money.

Part of my motivation is this particular one is available at less than the normal market rate (i.e it's cheap), has been rebuilt on a galvanised chassis, is old enough to get free road tax, and ought to either not depreciate, or possible even appreciate over time.

Anyway I'm going to look at it and take it for a drive on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

I may just end up buying it as a toy / investment. I've mooted the idea with Mrs PD of getting this Landie and using it as my "van" and for towing, the role currently done by my Forrester.

But Mrs PD has thrown a spanner in the works, and says if I sell the Forrester, then she would want another "decent" 4WD in the household, and starts talking of those great big Volvo 4WD things for her. For some reason that she won't tell me, she just doesn't like the Foresters and won't consider one of them.

Dave my bro has a Volvo SC60 and I have to say it is excellent. far too posh to put tools in etc but nice for towing or off roading in comfort. That would relegate the Landy to hobby status though?

Dave my bro has a Volvo SC60 and I have to say it is excellent. far too posh to put tools in etc but nice for towing or off roading in comfort. That would relegate the Landy to hobby status though?
No, we only want 2 vehicles in the house (unless I buy the Landy just as a toy / investment)

So the Landy would be my "van" and the Volvo would be Mrs PD's car, and also used for holidays towing the caravan etc.

Clearly I'll have to look at the cost of these things. I'll see on Wednesday if the Landy is any good or not.

Dave - I think it is a great idea. At the very least you can put the running costs through the business.

A cheaper, more comfortable option would be an older Discovery.

(my work van is a Disco 3 commercial and the Nemo is for sale as getting a Freelander commercial for the missus)

I'm not made of money.
...unfortunately, neither am I, which is why I'm still running the battered old Berlingo!

I've had this conversation a few times with the missus, as she wants me to get a works vehicle that will tow a horse box so that we can get rid of our old Disco and get a sensible family car (they may look huge, but just try getting three child seats in the back!)

I shied away from the landy because I wasn't convinced they were secure enough to keep tools in, and I thought I'd get stung on fuel costs... and all the alternatives (pickups mostly) were silly money.

Well I'm collecting the Landie today. I'll try and post some pictures later if I get chance to take any.

Certainly in the short term it's an investment / toy. Mrs PD thinks I'm bonkers. I need to win her around and get her to appreciate the charms of such an old vehicle.

It needs some work, first job is overhaul the brakes, it has one leaking brake cylinder, and somewhere there's an oval brake drum. It also has a slow puncture in one tyre to be fixed and several minor things like a broken switch (hope it's not the wiper switch, I'm going to need them today)

Enjoy the landy Dave, if I had room for one (pre 73 so free tax) I would have one just to play with. You will need some back up and friendly help from like minded landy owners. As a one time landy owner I recommend you sign up now to LandyZone - Land Rover Forum they are a great bunch of people from all walks of life and all sorts of landrovers from S1 to posh ne Range Rovers. You may even come across some of my posts - same username.

Here she is, my 40 year old Landrover.

Immediate task is to sort out the brakes, leaking fluid from the rear nearside, but it came with a box of spares including a new cylinder, 2 sets of shoes and 2 new drums.

Apart from that it's just mainly detailing needed to sort out little issues.

Still undecided whether to fit a hard top, or get a 3/4 canvas. I guess it will be decided by which comes up at the right price first.

Landrover.jpg

Landrover bodies don't rust, all the panels are aluminium.

The bits that do rust are the chassis, bulkhead, door and bonnet frames etc.

This one had a new galvanised chassis and a complete refurbishment a couple of years ago. It's an early series 3.

I want to get it back as near as possible to original. I've just discovered it's got the wrong heater in it.

Dave,,,

I guess you didn't see my ;) ; ) ;) :slap then??

Should have used the
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
one instead:coat

Does look nice though:)

Well I have to go to work in the Landy this week.

Mrs PD's VW has packed up and it will be at least the end of the week before it's fixed. and she "needs" a car fo ferry children about. And she won't drive the Landrover.

So until the VW is fixed, she's got my forester, and I have to use the Landy.

Not ideal yet as I haven't had chance to get the hard top on, so it's still a truck cab. So this afternoons job is see mow many "essential" tools and supplies I can squeeze into a Landrover truck cab to get me by for a few days.

Latest posts