8mm microbore rad not getting hot

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a sink plunger, try plunging the header tank outlet pipe from inside the tank.

Also, it could be your drain hose blocked. Shut off drain valve, take it off and see if water comes out the drain point.

Also, open up all your other rads.
No plunger, but I can go take a look.

Hose is off, rad drain valve going straight into a tray.

All rads open, pump on max, header tank full, no drainage.

No plunger to try free up the header tank outlet pipe, tank doesn't seem too dirty, slimy to the touch.

So I'm all for next steps, I can source a plunger tomorrow although it is a bit awkward as my header tank outlet pipe is horizontal, would need to be a micro plunger!

Thanks 

Luke

Try your bike pump, tube and duct tape to blow air down the filler pipe from the header tank. Or borrow a plunger from neighbour.

Have you a car wheel air compressor? 
Nope, tried to modify my foot pump to give a good seal on the header tank outlet but didn't quite get it, and bubbles just came straight back, I will try again tomorrow - If I can get a good seal I could give it 4 bars of pressure, think that would help?

Bleed rads?
Will try this tomorrow.

For now I've sealed everything back up to have what's left of my weekend to get ready for the week!

I see this as an ongoing battle so any other thought or questions, let me know and we can talk them through.

Luke

I wouldn't go to 4bar if your boiler is connected, you will blow the bypass valve. 

Max 2.5bar to be safe. Normal operating is usually 1.5bar. 

Personally I'd persevere with blowing back through microbore pipe, to dislodge blockage. Microbore is notorious for blockages if not regularly cleaned out. 

I wouldn't go to 4bar if your boiler is connected, you will blow the bypass valve. 

Max 2.5bar to be safe. Normal operating is usually 1.5bar. 

Personally I'd persevere with blowing back through microbore pipe, to dislodge blockage. Microbore is notorious for blockages if not regularly cleaned out. 

its open vented, no combi with PRV

Definitely going to try clear this blockage so I'm back to where I started, being able to drain and fill!

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can modify my bike pump further to give a good seal in the header tank.

If anything else comes to mind, let me know!

Thanks

Luke the Cowboy Plumber