8mm microbore rad not getting hot

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attempted air into the open valve, it's not even a trickle anymore so I assume yesterdays antics clogged it somewhat further.

Currently tapped all working rads off, and draining the system. I will then apply mains pressure to the blocked pipe as per yesterday's plan, this time with the knowledge that the drain-off tap and radiator is completely open.

Attached is a nice picture of the chaos.

mains-in - Copy.jpg

Nb. That drain pipe is no longer going through the cat flap and is very much horizontal all the way to the drain :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied mains pressure to suspect pipe, no onward flush heard, it just took the mains and flow stopped.

To prove the setup I applied the mains to the other rad pipe (the non-blocked, free running) and heard the flow of water elsewhere in the system, I assume the drain pipe, hard to be certain with just myself to perform the task. - Now certain, did a quick dash to the drain pipe to see it flushing.

In summary, mains pressure to blocked pipe does not free blockage.

I tried 3-4 times of a few seconds, I will go do it some more.

Failing that I'm going to start poking the pipe with some wire.

Thanks for all your help thus far  :signthankspin:

Luke

looks like a blockage in that pipe somewhere between the valve and manifold

you could also try leaving the water pressure there for longer. its possible that it is slowly pushing the blockage along the pipe but doesnt get far before you stop

looks like a blockage in that pipe somewhere between the valve and manifold

you could also try leaving the water pressure there for longer. its possible that it is slowly pushing the blockage along the pipe but doesnt get far before you stop
I currently have a good few metres of wire down the pipe stabbing away at some resistance.

I'll measure it out of curiosity then try the mains again.

Update: 3.5m of cable, gave it a good stab, will flush with mains and see if it moves/clears.

what you stabbing it with? is it rigid enough to twist as you push it in?
Nah, I'm stabbing it with 2mm coax cable, its got enough rigidity to force itself down the pipes but at the blockage it just crumples at my end.

I could try wrapping it around a nail at my end and using that to give it a deep stab but if I'm struggling to keep it rigid going in, I imagine its going to be rather ineffective at the blockage.

So I've tried mains again down it, no sign of moving. I've put the wire back down and it's at the same place, no sign of moving.

Any further ideas? I'm starting to think locating the manifold is my next step... It's not somewhere noticeable that's for sure.

coax - Copy.JPG

id expect the manifold to be under the floor upstairs

unlikely, but it could be a 90 bend that youre hitting. i say unlikely, because usually it would be bent and not an elbow fitted

id expect the manifold to be under the floor upstairs

unlikely, but it could be a 90 bend that youre hitting. i say unlikely, because usually it would be bent and not an elbow fitted
Close proximity to the hot water cylinder?

Hot water cylinder is located above the staircase, there is a cavity under it I should be able to get into, see if that indicates where the pipes heading down from the hot water tank go..

Coat hangers work well for this kind of stuff but I fear they may not be long enough.

Copper is probably too soft, you need some man grade steel wire!

:D

There: I contributed to the best plumbing thread ever!

:happybunny:
I'm struggling for coat hangers as it is! I'll see if I can find the manifold, 5m of man-grade steel wire is plan B!

If you are going in about 3.5m then you could quite easily be at the manifold. This is a ground floor rad with pipes going up wall to ceiling void. You may be better served lifting a bit of floor and locating manifold or the 3.5m point? 

If you are going in about 3.5m then you could quite easily be at the manifold. This is a ground floor rad with pipes going up wall to ceiling void. You may be better served lifting a bit of floor and locating manifold or the 3.5m point? 
3.5m puts it somewhere in the upstairs bedroom, maybe, going to quickly check there.

no, just somewhere central to all the rads

when the heating did work, did you ever notice any of the floors upstairs warmer in a particular area? got a thermal camera lying around?
Lifted the landing carpet to no avail, did find a handy cut out that I can use to re-do my lights though - bonus.

Never noticed upstairs flooring being warm, the downstairs hallway does get warm though in a very narrow part... Funnily enough I could probably source a thermal camera, I'll be lifting floorboards in the meantime.

Last check before calling it a night - upstairs bedroom for the manifold.

Luke

3.5m puts it somewhere in the upstairs bedroom, maybe, going to quickly check there.

Lifted the landing carpet to no avail, did find a handy cut out that I can use to re-do my lights though - bonus.

Never noticed upstairs flooring being warm, the downstairs hallway does get warm though in a very narrow part... Funnily enough I could probably source a thermal camera, I'll be lifting floorboards in the meantime.

Last check before calling it a night - upstairs bedroom for the manifold.

Luke
Upstairs bedroom floor was a bigger task than anticipated. It's a tomorrow job. Will update tomorrow!

Out of interest, is the bedroom at the furthest point from boiler? 

Many microbore systems will have 2 manifolds dependent upon the house layout, to minimise length of micropipe and aid with equal heat dissipation by allowing it to flow through a larger pipe for a longer distance. So try to think where the best position of the manifold would be if you were to pipe up from start.  

Out of interest, is the bedroom at the furthest point from boiler? 

Many microbore systems will have 2 manifolds dependent upon the house layout, to minimise length of micropipe and aid with equal heat dissipation by allowing it to flow through a larger pipe for a longer distance. So try to think where the best position of the manifold would be if you were to pipe up from start.  
It would be the furthest point yes, far side of the room would be anyway.

Ill sketch together a house layout tomorrow.

Luke

So the manifold will possibly be either just inside the bed door or just outside the bed door. 
I'm going to check there tonight.

It is looking like that ;)

my money is on the upstairs hall. Where does the cat sleep?
I've put together a map of the house:

house-layout.JPG

The cat tends to sleep bottom right corner of 9 or bottom right corner of 5 behind the door. Although heating hasn't been on recently so i'm not sure how much of an indicator that is.

I'm going to check bottom left of 9 tonight, blue crosses in 7 indicate places i've already looked.

Stay tuned for "Manifold Hide & Seek"

id guess 8, possibly 6. when you looked at 7 did you see any pipes?
I’m really hoping it’s not 8, that’s tiled flooring and looks really well done 😰

Will try 6 tonight, 7 no pipes whatsoever, so they either go into 8 or 5 by that logic.

Please god not 8.