A lesson learned on yesterday's job !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two little tales on this subject from me........ :D  can only speak of one though :ph34r:

10ish years ago I was told to stand in the main intake room of the headquaters site & wait for the radio call to switch off the intake switch marked CONTROL, this would cut SSE supply & drop in the genset on auto change to the control room only........In the intake room I see two handles, one with  "control" handwritten in chinagraph pencil on the casing the other a little larger with an engraved label also marked "CONTROL"....

I get the call "drop it out now"............"Err which one" ............"the one tagged as control you tango'd twat"....so command decision I went for the obviously correctly engraved handle.

Yep the control room instantly failed over to the genset...............shame the rest of the site didn't  :slap  11:30 & every pc crashed & yes the UPS's were not maintained so servers crashed also....

I brought the fire service to a halt for a few minutes, no phones no internet no network .............sod all infact :pmsl1:

I had a similar issue with an apprentice, was working in a leisure centre and was looking to knock the emergency lights off in the reception/lobby area so told the apprentice to tell me when the power to them was off. I stood in a broom cupboard flipping breakers, some labelled as lighting/emergency lights and similar. Ran out of labelled breakers so tried all the 6's/10's then ended up with not a single one operating the circuit I wanted to work on, only one MCB left at this point, but it was labelled something like 'high bays'. Flipped that one and still nothing apparently so I turned it back on, and then I had run out of MCB's to try so as I left the cupboard everyone appeared to be leaving the swimming pool. It goes quite dark in there when the high bays are switched off, and it takes a while to warm them back up again so everyone had to evacuate and wait in the changing rooms for 15 minutes until it was safe to return!

When I went back to work out what was going on the (lazy) apprentice was looking at the lamp in the maintained emergency and completely ignored the bright green LED. Turns out the first circuit I tried was the correct one.

lettuced (not a swear word) is filtered but twat isn't? How odd.

Yeah I know, that's why I used a smiley, but just using google there and I think there might be a village in England called Twat with the single t at the end.

Are we able to refer to SFennelhorpe without it being turned into vegetables?

Seems not

Are we able to refer to SFennelhorpe without it being turned into vegetables?

Seems not

But I was working in SFennelhorpe today. How will I be able to tell you about what happened when you don't where I was.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this some years ago, when the swear filter wasn't as ridiculous as it is nowadays. I think the response was "doing it properly looks complicated, I'll leave it as it is - broken".

Where I used to work had a stupid filter on the internet access that meant you could not access any site with Essex, Sussex etc in the name. No amount of reasoning would make them change it.

EDIT if the swear filter allows Essex, Why not Scun thorpe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I used to work had a stupid filter on the internet access that meant you could not access any site with Essex, Sussex etc in the name. No amount of reasoning would make them change it.

EDIT if the swear filter allows Essex, Why not Scun thorpe?
Our internet filter at work restricted me from going on the farnell website this week, the reason was "gambling".

You just never know what you might get when you send away an order  :slap

Our internet filter at work restricted me from going on the farnell website this week, the reason was "gambling".

You just never know what you might get when you send away an order  :slap

TBF, it is usually a lottery as to when it will turn up. Ordered some stuff from CPC the other week, turned up next morning. Ordered more stuff, turned up 4 days later.

Really annoys me, especially when Farnell and RS both deliver next day. Ordered some contactors and overloads from RS on Friday night, they'll be delivered Monday morning. Quicker and easier than actually driving to the wholesalers!

Last edited by a moderator:
TBF, it is usually a lottery as to when it will turn up. Ordered some stuff from CPC the other week, turned up next morning. Ordered more stuff, turned up 4 days later.

Really annoys me, especially when Farnell and RS both deliver next day. Ordered some contactors and overloads from RS on Friday night, they'll be delivered Monday morning. Quicker and easier than actually driving to the wholesalers!

UPS and it almost always arrives next day. royal snails carrier pigeon service and it could be anything upto a week, sometimes more

But definitely not cheaper.

I prefer using RS over Farnell, the farnell website is useless. I normally have to allow 2 days+ considering the Irish Sea.

Latest posts