Adding a socket for a Ring cam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RL19

Reaction score
Hi All

I need an additional socket in the garage to power a ring cam.

I want to spur it from the power to this light fitting which is operated by a single switch.

Photo attached shows the wiring to the back of the light and the switch connections. Is there an easy way to add this to the connections here or better to add a junction box to the power cable to the light and not mess with these connections?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpeg
    IMG_1451.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
You need to make sure the lights are on an RCD before you start adding sockets to it, provided they are, you'd be well advised to mount the socket out the way and make sure you label it somehting like "CAMERA PSU ONLY - SUPPLIED ON 5A CIRCUIT"

You can get a permenent feed off the lives in the connector block and pick up the neutral and earth from those that go to the ftting, note that those connections are suitable only for two conductors each, so you are going to have to add some connector blocks or wagos and a short pig tail in the fitting, you should not jam more than one wire into each hole on the push fit connectors, and if someone has already done this with the earths, you could correct it

You need to make sure the lights are on an RCD before you start adding sockets to it, provided they are, you'd be well advised to mount the socket out the way and make sure you label it somehting like "CAMERA PSU ONLY - SUPPLIED ON 5A CIRCUIT"

You can get a permenent feed off the lives in the connector block and pick up the neutral and earth from those that go to the ftting, note that those connections are suitable only for two conductors each, so you are going to have to add some connector blocks or wagos and a short pig tail in the fitting, you should not jam more than one wire into each hole on the push fit connectors, and if someone has already done this with the earths, you could correct it
Thanks a lot Phoenix. That all makes sense I will check the RCD but pretty sure this is fused and the socket will be out the way just for this cam. I guess I am going to need 2x 3 way Wagos for each connection so I can add the 2 existing connections plus the new spur plus the pig tail and then back to the fitting? Or a 4 way Wago but don’t think I have any of those to hand . Cheers