Extending Ring Main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dancaw

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently extended the ring main while converting my garage, added 8 additional sockets from the original socket which had 2 x 2.5mm twin earth cables.

Continued the ring linking all new sockets, and last and final socket was connected to the second cable to the second socket .

Everything was working then all of sudden, the original socket stopped working and 8th socket, yet all sockets in between work 2 - 7

I have also noticed the socket upstairs above the original socket I extended off is also dead.. i thought i ring main power comes in both directions?

Ive tried swapping the original socket and still the same..

Ive tried swapping the two cables coming down to original socket, then the original socket and 8th sockets work and 2-7 dont,

I would assume there is loose connections between socket 7&8 all of a sudden..

Of has the socket upstairs causing an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_6420.png
    IMG_6420.png
    507.1 KB · Views: 1
Did you do any measurement to prove the circuit was an intact ring final before you altered anything.?

Did you do any measurement to prove ring integrity after your alterations?

Basic rule for any electrical alterations is to assume everything is faulty until you have proved otherwise. And although many people think sockets must be wired as a ring, they do not have to be.

Often they can be radial circuits, or a mix of a ring with spurs. So without proving the original circuit composition it is a bit of pot luck trying to second guess your exact problem with doing a few continuity tests with a approved test meter?

How do you know it’s actually a ring circuit ?

I suspect you may have a couple of faults
Well, can not be entirely sure, property is only 17 years old and sockets are all original so what you saying that second cable could be a spur to socket upstairs?

Well, can not be entirely sure, property is only 17 years old and sockets are all original so what you saying that second cable could be a spur to socket upstairs?
Did you do any measurement to prove the circuit was an intact ring final before you altered anything.?

Did you do any measurement to prove ring integrity after your alterations?

Basic rule for any electrical alterations is to assume everything is faulty until you have proved otherwise. And although many people think sockets must be wired as a ring, they do not have to be.

Often they can be radial circuits, or a mix of a ring with spurs. So without proving the original circuit composition it is a bit of pot luck trying to second guess your exact problem with doing a few continuity tests with a approved test meter?
My mate who is sparky potentially said could be a ring due to age of house, he's offered to come round with his continuity tester but isn't available for another 4 weeks, and I'm inpatient

If it’sa spur you have extended from it’s not great

Inpatient you may be but probably sensible. Can’t your mate pop round earlier?

Ill take some pictures tonight but if memory severs they are Type C06
32Amp, 20 Amp, 16Amp is what we need to know. If the circuit is on a 32A, then it's likely to be a ring, if it's on 20 or 16 then it may well be a radial circuit.

When I fully rewire houses I usually fit radial circuits for bedroom / lounge socket circuits, and only ring areas like kitchens and utility rooms if there is sufficient load to merit it. That way anyone messing with the socket circuits can't mess up the ring, which is a common issue. I've found many houses with upstairs/ down stairs rings cross-reconnected making them left and right of house, kitchen and one bedroom , and many variations of that theme :D

How did you extend this "ring" your explanation is very confusing.