Convert internal light switch to control external light?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev01

Reaction score
Appreciate some advice here please.

I want an outdoor light above the back door that is controlled by a switch, and wondered if i could change the use of my internal switch that I don ´ t use.

In the lounge I have 2 light fittings at opposite ends, one is a 2 switch that controls both lights, the one by the back door only controls the fitting by the back door - it is this switch i would like to use for an outdoor light. Although this switch works, we never use it.

I have attached a photo of the switch, and a very poor sketch.. so sorry
Screenshot 2023-10-30 16.19.57.png
20231030_160200.jpg

I guess black and blue wires are neutral, but the yellow wire?

If it can be done which wires do i terminate, and which is the live to connect the outdoor light?

Nearly forgot there is an earth connected to the housing.

Hope this is an easy one, and can be done. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-30 16.19.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 16.19.57.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231030_160200.jpg
    20231030_160200.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 0
Sorry to disappoint you, and I don't really understand your description of the current arrangements, BUT that looks like one end of a two way switch system It is highly unlikely than any of those wires is neutral or they wouldn't be connected to the switch.

Thanks for the reply... yes, it is a single switch on the end of a 2 way.... shame..... will have to look at other options for an outdoor light..... a torch by the door perhaps :LOL:

It needs connecting to the brass earth terminal of the switch plate, below where it says "Must be earthed".
Gotcha - so just connect a fly lead from the switch to the earth in the housing where the other earth is connected?

Gotcha - so just connect a fly lead from the switch to the earth in the housing where the other earth is connected?
If the other earths are long enough relocate to the front plate or a fly lead as you suggest. If you have similar switches elsewhere you may want to check them.

Appreciate some advice here please.

I guess black and blue wires are neutral, but the yellow wire?

If it can be done which wires do i terminate, and which is the live to connect the outdoor light?

Hope this is an easy one, and can be done. Thanks

Just to add some additional background info that may help you understand the arrangements you currently have...

(a) a standard single light switch does NOT need a neutral connection... just a permanent live from the supply and a switched live out to the light fitting... The neutral connection is at the light fitting.

(b) for two switches to operate the same light a three core cable is required between the two switches so two alternating switch options are possible.

(c) UK cable colours for fixed wiring changed during a phased change-over between 2004 to 2006 Old Live and Neutral 2-core + earth cable colours were Red (Live), Black (Neutral)
[New colours Brown and Blue]. Old three-core cable colours were Red, Yellow & Blue.. ALL live! [New Brown, Black, Grey]

(d) Though frequently not used, for standard single switches Twin Red or Twin Brown 2core + earth cables are available! But if a two core cable with Black or Blue conductors is used for a light switch they should be over-sleeved or taped with Red or Brown to indicate they are actually Live conductors!

(e) Red, Yellow & Blue are ALL recognised as live conductors under the old fixed wiring colour identification. So Every wire connected to your switch is either permanent live or switched live.. No Neutrals needed!

(f) The Red cable sharing with the Yellow, and the Black cable sharing with the blue are the two actual switch in & out conductors!

Hope that helps a bit?

Just to add some additional background info that may help you understand the arrangements you currently have...

(a) a standard single light switch does NOT need a neutral connection... just a permanent live from the supply and a switched live out to the light fitting... The neutral connection is at the light fitting.

(b) for two switches to operate the same light a three core cable is required between the two switches so two alternating switch options are possible.

(c) UK cable colours for fixed wiring changed during a phased change-over between 2004 to 2006 Old Live and Neutral 2-core + earth cable colours were Red (Live), Black (Neutral)
[New colours Brown and Blue]. Old three-core cable colours were Red, Yellow & Blue.. ALL live! [New Brown, Black, Grey]

(d) Though frequently not used, for standard single switches Twin Red or Twin Brown 2core + earth cables are available! But if a two core cable with Black or Blue conductors is used for a light switch they should be over-sleeved or taped with Red or Brown to indicate they are actually Live conductors!

(e) Red, Yellow & Blue are ALL recognised as live conductors under the old fixed wiring colour identification. So Every wire connected to your switch is either permanent live or switched live.. No Neutrals needed!

(f) The Red cable sharing with the Yellow, and the Black cable sharing with the blue are the two actual switch in & out conductors!

Hope that helps a bit?
That helps out a lot, thank you so much for taking the time to explain.

I went round the house and all but 1 light switch the earth was installed to the housing.

I have corrected this now, thank you all once again.