Adding Additional Sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72clg

Reaction score
I've got an mini RCBO consumer unit in the garage running directly from the RCBO consumer unit in the house. Is it possible to break the wire in-between (not the armored part outside) and put in a junction box to add a couple of additional sockets? I've tried to draw a simple diagram to show what I mean?

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Why not connect them properly from the mini CU in the garage?
Because they are to be in the house not the garage. But reversing this why not connect to the house CU because there are no spare fuses and more importantly no wire on the wall that I want the sockets but there is the wire to the garage CU

Sounds like an awful way to achieve what you want. Which is a polite way of saying if I found this in a house I would be cursing very loudly about DIY lash-up 😃

Why not break into the meter tails with Henley blocks and install a miniboard.

more importantly no wire on the wall that I want the sockets but there is the wire to the garage CU
So someone got the wire from the CU to that position to feed to the garage, so get another appropriate cable from the CU to there. You don't always need a new circuit for a socket, a spur from the origin is allowed.

As we have no mention of RCBO ratings, cable CSA sizes, Zs values, existing load on the circuit, volt drop calculations.. etc...
any answers would be guess work...??

But going on gut feeling from the limited information provided...

It does sound like there are probably better solutions possible...?
and I would probably be agreeing with Binky's evaluation, that its a bit of a poor quality DIY.. "Bob-builder-lash-up".

I doubt your suggestion would be my choice..

BUT....
at the end of the day, as the saying goes, "There is more than one way to skin-a-cat"..

Providing your work is designed, installed and tested in a manner that will not endanger people, property and livestock, and is compliant with current issue of BS7671, with appropriate electrical certificate, (Probably a Minor Works), issued....
Then there is no wiring regulation to say that you cannot branch off a sub-main...
(just as you can split supply tails to feed multiple consumer units!)

Also... Your attached drawing suggests you have some sockets on a mini-ring, branched of a radial circuit??
Not sure how you have this complying with BS7671???????????

Without more info about your electrical background, skills, qualifications, and what test equipment you have access to..
It could be outside of the scope of most DIY work?